clinical experience in the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wcDO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody, i am about to finish my first year at NYCOM.

I really wanna get more clinical experience in the summer. but i dunno how to find those opportunities. I especially wanna spend some time working in those hospitals that are affiliated wtih NYCOM or those hospitals in the city.

Also, i heard about the medical mission trip. i am thinking about doing that in the summer too, however, i dunno if i am eligible to apply since i am just a first year student.

any advise will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The good news is that AMSA has a # of summer international clinical programs for medical students (including MS1s).

The bad news is that the applications were due months ago.

Call a few local docs and see if they take you for a few weeks volunteering. We at KCOM have a 2-week preceptorship this summer, actually the first round for half the class starts this coming Monday. Very exciting. Got to do an H&P this early in my career is exciting. Some of the 2nd-years last year even delivered babies and participated in surgery. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
take the summer off from medicine..this is the last totally carefree summer of your life..try to get away from it for a while b/c you are going to spend your life doing medicine..many students experience total burnout by the end of the year..i know i did..i could not even read the newspaper for a while! getting more clinical experience is certainly good, and i encourage it..but do not rush..you will have plenty of time for clinical experience..i would strongly recommend that you sit back and chill..

I have to agree with Spunky - you are going to be a doctor the rest of your life - take this summer (your last) to travel, read, visit friends & family, etc...

I spent the summer between my 1st and 2nd years in SE Asia. At first I thought I would get "behind" everyone who were participating in preceptorships. However, I came back much less stressed and ready to tackle the 2nd year.

You will learn everything you need to know by the time you graduate, so take some time to have some fun!

JenM, You said you went to SE Asia. Did you go to Vietnam? I went there about 8 years ago.

VM - I lived in Taiwan from 1993-1995. Every summer since I have gone back to the region to visit. I have spent time in the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and Hong Kong. It's a great place to visit, but I doubt I'll be getting back too much in the future.

smile.gif
Jen