Clinical Experience/Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kroniesrus65

Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying this cycle, and it is my gap year. I am applying to gap year jobs right now, and I'm mostly looking into tech sector stuff, but I recently came across one that appears to be a caregiver for a disabled woman. The post included that it was good for pre-med/ pre- PA etc. students to gain some experience, but I don't know if this job would be perceived as such by ADCOMS. Would I be able to count this as clinical exposure? I'm meeting with them to find out more about the job duties, but it seems like I'm just gonna be working under a HHA (Home Health Aid). I have other options, but I'm just wondering if this would be viewed as a strong experience or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this cycle, and it is my gap year. I am applying to gap year jobs right now, and I'm mostly looking into tech sector stuff, but I recently came across one that appears to be a caregiver for a disabled woman. The post included that it was good for pre-med/ pre- PA etc. students to gain some experience, but I don't know if this job would be perceived as such by ADCOMS. Would I be able to count this as clinical exposure? I'm meeting with them to find out more about the job duties, but it seems like I'm just gonna be working under a HHA (Home Health Aid). I have other options, but I'm just wondering if this would be viewed as a strong experience or not.
Whether it will be judged as "clinical"or not depends on your duties. If you will be cleaning, shopping, doing laundry, and preparing meals, those tasks will not be viewed as clinical.

Whether it will be judged as "clinical"or not depends on your duties. If you will be cleaning, shopping, doing laundry, and preparing meals, those tasks will not be viewed as clinical.

Based on the brief description, I believe I will be aiding in personal hygiene, helping with lifting and moving, and just providing companionship. Again, I'm meeting with them soon and will have more later.

Whether or not it is viewed as "clinical", it will give you tremendous insights into the day-to-day life of a person with a disability and the life of a person who cares for someone with a disability. That is valuable knowledge that is not easily acquired in a clinical setting.