Clinical experience: Private practice vs Large hospitals, which is more legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently volunteering in a private physician's clinic and I'm learning and also getting a lot of patient interactions.

However someone pointed out to me that experience at the private clinic isn't as "credible" as a volunteering experience at a established medical center/hospital.

Is this true? do ADCOMS prefer large medical centers/hospitals over small private practices?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I don't think they will care. You are still interacting with patients. Don't worry about it.

I'm currently volunteering in a private physician's clinic and I'm learning and also getting a lot of patient interactions.

However someone pointed out to me that experience at the private clinic isn't as "credible" as a volunteering experience at a established medical center/hospital.

Is this true? do ADCOMS prefer large medical centers/hospitals over small private practices?

Thanks for the help everyone.

So this depends. My private practice exp got me more time one on one with a dr and got me a letter of recommendation compared to my hospital exp where I didnt get to talk or bond with the dr. The hospital exposed me to more variety in terms of what I got to witness and I got to see residents and attendings in action.

But this is also affected by the specialty of the doctor you shadow.

Dont overthink it. Try to do both at one point if you get the chance There is a benefit to both

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the anwers,

@spenguin

I don't have a lot of time to try both, I have to pick one and stick to it because I'm applying this cycle and I lack clinical exposure. So which one would be more beneficial or at least seem more legitimate?

hospital is better for overall clinical exp
(i shadowed in an er which is definitely a good place to shadow)

I doubt the admin think of private prac shadowing as less credible though

I say try to do both if you can. You'll get a higher chance of establishing a rapport with the doctor if you're in his private practice, and they might even write you a letter if they like you.

But you'll see more "action" in the ER. It's a trade off. Do private practice now, but also go to the ER eventually.

You know what is an excellent place to shadow?

Ambulance observations. You'll really get to see hands on in the field.