rabidpanda13

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
the dirty south
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a nutrition student and the program I am in requires that I complete 1200+ hours of clinicals before I graduate. My question is if medical school admissions would look less favorably upon this because it is required for school and it is not technically "volunteer"? Does anyone think I would need a great deal more volunteer work or additional hospital experience? I have shadowing set up as well.

Slowpoke

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Maximum Security Anti-Zombie Fortress
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As far as I know, patient contact is patient contact, this does not matter if it was through a volunteering position or paid / required position. This is why some people prefer to get a CNA / EMT license rather than just the usual hospital volunteer position.

Furthermore 1200+ hours is Amazing. and you're on your way to a great EC addition.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, just because it's required doesn't mean medical schools will look less favorably on you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
While your clinical experience is a great asset to your application I highly recommend trying to fit in some kind of volunteer work into your schedule if at all possible. Doesn't have to be time-consuming or hospital related. 1 hour/week tutoring gig would do alot to enhance your application. Adcoms put premiums on alot of things and altruistic inclinations and teaching experience are two of them.