1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Clinical Experience/Research and shawdowing ????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NotForTheMoney, Jan 1, 2009.

1. NotForTheMoney

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's a good amount of each of these would be needed in order to have a competitive edge on your transcript when applying to med schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NeuroChaos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. Clinical: definitly need some. volunteering in hosps is one way. donot try to complete a set # of hours, but try to stick w/ one place for a long time. the longiveity of ur experiences matters a lot. so the least u need is about 6 months of clinical volunteering (say once a week 5-6 hr/week). this is the least. if you can do it for longer a year, 2 years great!!!

2. Reseach: not an absoulte persay, but it is weighed upon heavily. generally lack of research wont kill u at many skools, but lack of clinical will. so if u want to go to reserach heavy JHU, duke, etc,it is good to have some research. summer reserach programs give u good experience. plus u can also guage from reserach whether u r better in lab or in hosp.

3. shadowing: again good to have some, but if you have good volunteering that should cover for it. by good volunteering i mean a year or 1.5 yrs. if you can find a doc to shadow definityl do it. it gives u things to talk abt in interview.

so importance in my view clicnical >>research>>shadow

all three are important.try to get into all three, but donot jump of the bridge if u cannot do reserach or shadow a doc.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    About a 1.5 yrs of clinical volunteering about 3-4hrs a week.

Research over a yr.

Shadowing 80-100hr with several different specialities.

I did more clinical stuff because I hate doing research and do not want to do any.

I think at top schools you need to do some.

5. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

Agreed. And, one other thing to understand is that it's more about the quality of the experience than the quantity, as almost every person will tell you. Get the experience to help you, in addition to helping others.