NotForTheMoney

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2008
MS
Status
Pre-Medical
What's a good amount of each of these would be needed in order to have a competitive edge on your transcript when applying to med schools?

NeuroChaos

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
1. Clinical: definitly need some. volunteering in hosps is one way. donot try to complete a set # of hours, but try to stick w/ one place for a long time. the longiveity of ur experiences matters a lot. so the least u need is about 6 months of clinical volunteering (say once a week 5-6 hr/week). this is the least. if you can do it for longer a year, 2 years great!!!

2. Reseach: not an absoulte persay, but it is weighed upon heavily. generally lack of research wont kill u at many skools, but lack of clinical will. so if u want to go to reserach heavy JHU, duke, etc,it is good to have some research. summer reserach programs give u good experience. plus u can also guage from reserach whether u r better in lab or in hosp.

3. shadowing: again good to have some, but if you have good volunteering that should cover for it. by good volunteering i mean a year or 1.5 yrs. if you can find a doc to shadow definityl do it. it gives u things to talk abt in interview.

so importance in my view clicnical >>research>>shadow

all three are important.try to get into all three, but donot jump of the bridge if u cannot do reserach or shadow a doc.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
About a 1.5 yrs of clinical volunteering about 3-4hrs a week.

Research over a yr.

Shadowing 80-100hr with several different specialities.

I did more clinical stuff because I hate doing research and do not want to do any.

I think at top schools you need to do some.

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
1. Clinical: definitly need some. volunteering in hosps is one way. donot try to complete a set # of hours, but try to stick w/ one place for a long time. the longiveity of ur experiences matters a lot. so the least u need is about 6 months of clinical volunteering (say once a week 5-6 hr/week). this is the least. if you can do it for longer a year, 2 years great!!!

2. Reseach: not an absoulte persay, but it is weighed upon heavily. generally lack of research wont kill u at many skools, but lack of clinical will. so if u want to go to reserach heavy JHU, duke, etc,it is good to have some research. summer reserach programs give u good experience. plus u can also guage from reserach whether u r better in lab or in hosp.

3. shadowing: again good to have some, but if you have good volunteering that should cover for it. by good volunteering i mean a year or 1.5 yrs. if you can find a doc to shadow definityl do it. it gives u things to talk abt in interview.

so importance in my view clicnical >>research>>shadow

all three are important.try to get into all three, but donot jump of the bridge if u cannot do reserach or shadow a doc.
Agreed. And, one other thing to understand is that it's more about the quality of the experience than the quantity, as almost every person will tell you. Get the experience to help you, in addition to helping others.

About the Ads