Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Clinical Experience: Temple vs Pitt vs Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MaChVa, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MaChVa

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For anyone who has interviewed at these schools... could you please compare the clinical experience that you feel you will get from these schools as well as say which school you liked the most and why. Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PreDent2009

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Out of those 3 schools I only interviewed at Maryland....and also got accepted there. I was extremely impressed with all aspects of their program. There is nothing not to like about the school...especially their facilities and clinical emphasis. I shadowed a GPR resident that went to Maryland and he was extremely clinically competent and his skills seemed to be superior to that of the other residents who graduated from other dental programs.

With this being said, this dentist might have been legit wherever he went to school, but it seems from talking to him that you get great clinical exposure/clinical education at Maryland. He emphasized how much Maryland focuses on pumping out clinically competent dentists. If I didn't get accepted into my state school (UNC), I definately would of picked Maryland over Columbia and Kentucky-the other two schools I got accepted to. I am sure other SDN'ers can help you with the other two schools you mentioned since I did not apply to those particular schools.

4. Hawkeye7685

Hawkeye7685 Hawkeye
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I like the previous commenter only interviewed at one of your schools, Temple. So I will say to you what they said to me. At the interview everybody continually told us that this is not a school for research. This school pumps out clinicians. The requirements for graduation are extensive and when asking students how they felt about their skills as a dentist they all said they felt competent to go out into the real world. I don't remember the exact statistics but I know in the Dental Student forum somebody posted a list of clinical requirements and the point system for the clinic years. Also the patient pool is staggering, they have more people looking for teeth doctors then they know what to do with so you'll always have people to work on, and you can even request certain procedures if you are low or planning on specializing in the future to boost your application numbers.

The equipment I will admit seemed to be a little bit old and the school is mainly about function as opposed to aesthetics. However, the new dean is basically turning the school around. By the time I start my clinic years in Fall 2011 (Quick side comment, the fact that I can say that is the greatest thing ever:D) all of the clinic booths will be completely renovated with new chairs and equipment. Not to mention they're hiring lab workers to do all your clinic lab work and no longer require students to collect their own fees. So you'll have more time to do procedures, but this last change may have not been for the best because those are two skills that may become helpful as a dentist. So you'll have a brand new clinic with the newest equipment to work with, you'll also have to go through all the issues that come with a new system such as machines breaking, confusion over scheduling, killer parrots...all the usual issues.

As for the pre-clinic work, the school only has two of those Sim Labs that they solely use for competency exams. You do all your pre-clinic work seperate from these computers which the school touts as being helpful but I don't know the difference so I can't tell you about that. Overall I loved Temple, the environment was great and the students seemed more confident then all the students at the residency clinic I volunteered for over the summer. Good luck with your choice.

5. montag925

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hawkeye's description of Temple is pretty good. I can speak about 2 of the schools.

-Temple has an extremely extensive clinical program, with new renovations expected to make it even better. If you have an interest in research however, Temple is not for you. There is little or no research going on. The new dean is talking about incorporating more, but that will most likely not effect anyone deciding to go there this year.

-Pitt is a really good school. Just because their clinical education is not as good as Temple's does not mean that it is sub par. For those who factor certain procedure requirements for graduation, I believe you even get to do an implant or two while in dental school. You take your boards after first year here though. Some people like that and some hate it. In terms of research, Pitt is affiliated with UPMC. Thats all i need to say. If you dont know what I am talking about, google "UPMC research". If you have an interest in research, this may be a better fit.

-Maryland never gave me an interview.. so if you decide to go there you will contract aids and die. Enough said.

PocketRocket likes this.
  6. MaChVa

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not really interested in trying to do any type of research in dental school. I am just concerned with graduating from dental school being a highly competent clinical dentist. Does anyone know how big of a difference there is between the clinical requirements of these three schools? It seems that Temple has the most extensive amount of clinical requirements, but how far behind is Maryland and Pitt?

7. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I interviewed at all of these schools and I was extremely impressed with all of them. I don't believe that any of these schools are "behind" the other two, they just require different numbers of procedures.

Honestly, I believe that each of these schools produce clinicians of comparable quality.

Differences between these schools are slight, but present. As noted earlier, there is a lack of an extensive research program Temple, or so it seemed to me. Pitt and Maryland do offer more of a chance to do research and use more advanced technologies (Pitt has the implant clinic and Maryland has their brand new building that is simply beautiful), but Temple students always seem to be excellent clinicians and just great people in general (because they are going to be dentists, and dentists are... well... pretty damn nice in general).

Pitt does require that students take the NBDE Part 1 before they begin their second year of dental school, which I think is a fairly good idea, because everything will be fresh in the students' minds. Maryland and Temple require that students take the NBDE Part 1 later on in dental school, typically after their fall semester of D2 (although they will take it after taking the same courses as the students at Pitt, Pitt's students just take three "semesters" in their first year), so I don't think this is a major difference between the schools.

Hope this helps answer the original post in some way.

8. Dent2011

Dental Student
    Maryland takes NBDE pt. 1 summer of their freshman year!

9. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

This information is inaccurate. I have a good friend who is a D2 at Maryland, and I know they definitely take Part I summer after 1st year (typically around August) before starting 2nd year.

10. paul510psu

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I stand corrected. I must have misheard during my interview date.

I apologize for the confusion.