Clinical experience/volunteering but no hospital volunteering. Am I ok?

numbersloth

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
    I have experience doing clinical volunteering/patient contact through a mobile health screening van. I also have hospital shadowing experience. Is it still necessary for me to volunteer at a larger hospital? I'm already doing non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter), clinical volunteering (mobile van), and research alongside classes and just don't see where I could fit in more time to go to a hospital every week. Thoughts?

greenturtle22

2+ Year Member
    Aug 8, 2016
    1. Medical Student (Accepted)
      Clinical experience is not just limited to hospital volunteering - I honestly think you look pretty good, especially considering you've shadowed and have thus had an opportunity to experience what physicians actually do.

Reactions: 2 users

numbersloth

5+ Year Member
      Mar 26, 2015
        Clinical experience is not just limited to hospital volunteering - I honestly think you look pretty good, especially considering you've shadowed and have thus had an opportunity to experience what physicians actually do.

Thanks so much for answering. I was just asking because it seems like literally every single student applying has hospital experience!

About the Ads

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
        Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        5+ Year Member
        Navy
        Verified Expert
        Jan 11, 2016
        1. Medical Student
          Thanks so much for answering. I was just asking because it seems like literally every single student applying has hospital experience!

It's one of the more common and easy ways to get "clinical experience." Just because a lot of people have it doesn't make it necessary.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Mar 7, 2005
          1. Academic Administration

That's what will make your mobile clinic volunteering such a joy. Reviewer: "Finally, someone who is doing something a bit different, I'd like to meet this one."

Reactions: 3 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Jun 11, 2010
            Somewhere west of St. Louis
            1. Non-Student
              Your current experiences are fine.
              I have experience doing clinical volunteering/patient contact through a mobile health screening van. I also have hospital shadowing experience. Is it still necessary for me to volunteer at a larger hospital? I'm already doing non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter), clinical volunteering (mobile van), and research alongside classes and just don't see where I could fit in more time to go to a hospital every week. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
              About the Ads
              This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.