Clinical experience/volunteering but no hospital volunteering. Am I ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have experience doing clinical volunteering/patient contact through a mobile health screening van. I also have hospital shadowing experience. Is it still necessary for me to volunteer at a larger hospital? I'm already doing non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter), clinical volunteering (mobile van), and research alongside classes and just don't see where I could fit in more time to go to a hospital every week. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical experience is not just limited to hospital volunteering - I honestly think you look pretty good, especially considering you've shadowed and have thus had an opportunity to experience what physicians actually do.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinical experience is not just limited to hospital volunteering - I honestly think you look pretty good, especially considering you've shadowed and have thus had an opportunity to experience what physicians actually do.

Thanks so much for answering. I was just asking because it seems like literally every single student applying has hospital experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for answering. I was just asking because it seems like literally every single student applying has hospital experience!

It's one of the more common and easy ways to get "clinical experience." Just because a lot of people have it doesn't make it necessary.

Reactions: 1 user

That's what will make your mobile clinic volunteering such a joy. Reviewer: "Finally, someone who is doing something a bit different, I'd like to meet this one."

Reactions: 3 users
Your current experiences are fine.
I have experience doing clinical volunteering/patient contact through a mobile health screening van. I also have hospital shadowing experience. Is it still necessary for me to volunteer at a larger hospital? I'm already doing non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter), clinical volunteering (mobile van), and research alongside classes and just don't see where I could fit in more time to go to a hospital every week. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user