Clinical Experience vs Lab Research Experience question

leeyuhang

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone, I just have a general question regarding this topic. I recently started working at a clinical psychology lab and the experience has been interesting but i doubt i would stick with it for very long. ~ 3 months or so max. i don't think ill be doing much else in the clinic other than the regular hospital volunteering for the next 2 years + some shadowing before i apply for med school.

biology research on the other hand i will be doing extensively (been doing it since middle of high school) but i feel like that this amount of time in the lab would make my application look sort of onesided because i dont spend enough time doing clinical research? my research interest may make me look more suitable to be a phd? moreover i'll be applying to the masters program at ucsd so ill probably continually work at the same lab for awhile which gives me relatively little time to pursue another clinical research place of interest.

what are your opinions on clinical vs nonclincal research? my 3 months of clinical research probably won't mean too much on the application huh?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Most applicants have basic science research and no clinical research. No worries.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
The two years of clinical experience plus some shadowing will give you more than the average amount of clinical experience, so having heavy involvement in basic science research won't make you look lop-sided.