Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Street Philosopher

freebird
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have much clinical experience. I'm wondering what a minimum level of clinical experience might be...

To put my situation in context, I've been involved in mostly research (1.5 years at one lab, .5 years in another one, a summer in one during high school... (which probably doesn't "count"), have several volunteer/paid experiences (lots of people-skills type jobs), and a summer of clinical experience during high school (which also probably doesn't "count").

The problem is that I'm still involved in many activities that I'm committed to, so it would be pretty difficult for me to add significant clinical experience. I have shadowed before, and plan to a few more times.

So, will this level of clinical experience (or lack thereof) significantly hurt me? Will shadowing be sufficient? Ideally I should do more clinical, but remember I still have many commitments (mostly to my research).

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're doing things you like and have some clinical experience it should be alright. I had very little, but I had lots of other things, volunteer, research, travel, and it hasn't seemed to hurt me much. One interviewer did grill me a little, and suggested that I get more...but that's all.

Good luck,

Adam