1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Clinical Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by leesh, Dec 15, 2005.

1. leesh

leesh I'm bored
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    Thanks for reading my post, I have a question about clinical experience. In most areas admissions committees may look I'm prepared to reference something I've done...except in the area of clinical experience. I would appreciate any comments on how to get my feet wet, how to secure a position shadowing a doctor, etc. I would also be interested in hearing about other peoples' experiences with this.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i went to a local hospital and was happy to find out that there was a full time "volunteer coordinator". she was very helpful, and happy to place me in a position (her job, really). but, there are many other wasy to get clinical experience, i would think.

one word about volunteering. it's what you make of it. anything that is THAT important will have someone that's paid, and trained, to handle it. so, you need to take on the attitude that you're there to help out, do what you can, and to get a first hand feel for what the environment of caring for people is all about. don't think you'll be saving the world, though you can have some really good experiences.

good luck.

4. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on what you want to do. I contacted a hospital in my region and they would only let me shadow if my school submitted signed forms, paid for insurance, ect. So long story short, it didn't work out. However, she did point me in the direction of private practices and family physicians. Doctors LOVE to teach (in my experience, anyway), so it shouldn't be too difficult to get your feet wet one way or another. Best of luck to you, and make the most of it!

5. jhrugger

jhrugger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    for shadowing: if you know a resident or a doc or anyone who knows a resident or a doc, express your interest by saying something along the lines of "I am interested in getting a feel for what the 'typical' day is in 'x' specialty, would you mind if I spent some time following and learning" and hopefully you will be able to tag along on rounds or in the OR or in clinic. I would recommend doing this during a break from school or work so that you can shadow for at least a full week, that way you will get a better idea of the lifestyle. Sure if you spend one day standing in the OR you may think "wow this is neat", but an extended time shadowing may prove to be much more beneficial and meaningful.

Some people poopoo shadowing experiences, but I think that they are extermely important because they allow you to get an actual glimpse of what residents actually do day in and day out. Being attracted to "medicine" and "helping" and all that stuff is great, but actually knowing a little bit about the day in and day out of the profession you would like to enter is extremely important as well.

I shadowed during parts of my summer vacations in college so that I could get an idea of what "life was like" in specialties that seemed interesting to me (like neurosurgery, ct surgery, urology, etc), and I got into it not through applying through some service but just by asking docs that I knew or that friends knew.

Again good luck! :thumbup: