clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question about clinical experience required for DO. I do volunteer at a hospital. I spend couple of years taking care of my mother, who was a cancer patient. I did everything from monitoring her diet, giving her medication and even injections. I spend so much time with her at the hospitals as well. Let just say i was like a home nurse to her. Do you think that counts as a clinical experience. Will the school accept that as clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

sandhar,

I would definitely consider the experience that you've had taking care of your mother would count toward a "clinical experience" requisite. Most schools ask for exposure to medical care, not formal clinical work, but this helps too.

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

I agree! I did similar care for my late grandmother, and it was this very experience that sparked my love for medicine and my desire to become a physician. I am still doing other things to show for clinical experience, but I think that that will be looked upon nicely by any school.