1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

clinical experience

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sandhar, Dec 6, 2000.

1. sandhar

sandhar Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I had a question about clinical experience required for DO. I do volunteer at a hospital. I spend couple of years taking care of my mother, who was a cancer patient. I did everything from monitoring her diet, giving her medication and even injections. I spend so much time with her at the hospitals as well. Let just say i was like a home nurse to her. Do you think that counts as a clinical experience. Will the school accept that as clinical experience?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docflanny

docflanny Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

sandhar,

I would definitely consider the experience that you've had taking care of your mother would count toward a "clinical experience" requisite. Most schools ask for exposure to medical care, not formal clinical work, but this helps too.

------------------
    Matt Flannigan
    MSUCOM Class of 2004

4. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree! I did similar care for my late grandmother, and it was this very experience that sparked my love for medicine and my desire to become a physician. I am still doing other things to show for clinical experience, but I think that that will be looked upon nicely by any school.