Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airtim00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in the pharmacy field, but I am turned off by the idea of working as a retail pharmacist.

I was just wondering what type of clinical pharmacist or residencies you should take to practice pharmacy in a more patient oriented area...

Also, I read on the web that there are such clinical pharmacy jobs, such as in pediatrics ?

Can anyone tell me their own experiences with clinical experience?

What should I do after I obtain my PharmD ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there are more options besides retail. Hospitals, industry, research, academia, the list goes on and on.
If you are wondering what types of residencies are available you may want to look on the ASHP website. It lists the different programs available in each state. You first have to earn your Pharm D, then during your 4th year of school you can apply for a PGY1 (general practice) residency that will start after you graduate and will last for a year. If you want to specialize in an area such as pediatrics, critical care, ID, etc, that will be another year.

Is anybody here a pharmacist not working in retail? Can you guys tell me about your experience and what you did to get to where you are?

Thanks.

Is anybody here a pharmacist not working in retail? Can you guys tell me about your experience and what you did to get to where you are?

Thanks.

There are lots of threads on the pharmacy forum on non-retail pharmacy.

Do a search - or look at some of my previous posts, or Zpacks or Kwizards posts.

Good luck!