Clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nina2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to build my clinical experience and was wondering if working in a retail pharmacy is considered clinical experience/patient interaction? I think "clinical" experience has to be in a hospital setting, but not very clear on this. Can anyone please clarify? And also, can you give me an example of some clinical work positions some you have worked in.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to build my clinical experience and was wondering if working in a retail pharmacy is considered clinical experience/patient interaction? I think "clinical" experience has to be in a hospital setting, but not very clear on this. Can anyone please clarify? And also, can you give me an example of some clinical work positions some you have worked in.

Thanks

LizzyM (adcom member) defines clinical experience as something you do where you can "smell patients".

As for retail pharmacy work, I would lean towards no. Please correct me if you had more extensive involvement with patients than just handing out medication.

EDIT: To answer the second part of your question: Many of us have shadowed physicians (gone in with them while they saw patients), observed surgeries, or had jobs that bring us face to face with patients. There are plenty of options that fufill this need.

Hey everyone!

Thanks

Clinical experience doesn't have to be in a hospital setting, but it does have to involve the practice of medicine. Retail pharmacy doesn't cut it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience doesn't have to be in a hospital setting, but it does have to involve the practice of medicine. Retail pharmacy doesn't cut it.

While I agree retail pharm doesn't constitute "clinical experience," it does constitute healthcare experience. And this counts for something.

Don't try to pass off your pharmacy tech job as your only clinical experience. Volunteer in a free clinic. Shadow physicians. Find a hospice. I think you could make the argument that a crisis hotline constitutes clinical experience.

On the other hand, don't quit your day job. Pharmacy work is a great introduction to one of the many sides of medicine and healthcare in the United States. What you can learn about pharmaceutical distribution, patients (i.e., patient dependency), physicians (i.e., how quickly they just write 'scripts), the perscription form, and the general filling and dispensing of drugs (i.e., the loads of filling and lack of distribution) in a pharmacy is invaluable. Medical schools know this, and your experience will count for something come application day.

P.S. I hope you aren't working at CVS.

While I agree retail pharm doesn't constitute "clinical experience," it does constitute healthcare experience. And this counts for something.

Of course. But it still doesn't count towards The Great Unofficial Requirement that is clinical experience.

Of course. But it still doesn't count towards The Great Unofficial Requirement that is clinical experience.

That's what I said:

Don't try to pass off your pharmacy tech job as your only clinical experience. Volunteer in a free clinic. Shadow physicians. Find a hospice. I think you could make the argument that a crisis hotline constitutes clinical experience.

And try to only fill "The Great Unofficial Requirement" and get into medical school. Won't happen.

Diversity in heathcare experience is the key, and that's what my post was about. I said the OP needed classic "clinical experience."

Thanks for the much needed adivce. And yes I do work at CVS lol!!! But I'm leaving to work at a clinical laboratory ( I'm a senior Clinical Laboratory science student). But definietly will work at a hospice or free clinic in addition to the volunteer research I'll be doing.