Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Clinical Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by musik2468, Dec 30, 2008.

1. musik2468

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What are some good ways to get clinical experience, other than the usual hospital/ER volunteering? Would working in a nursing home/long term care facility count?

2. Lukkie

Lukkie Membership Revoked
    Removed

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    yep but also realize there are other departments in the hospital than emergency

3. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do whatever you enjoy. Luckily, almost all fields of medicine are involved with people...

4. Rooni

Rooni Ph.D in Horribleness
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard that anything with any sort of patient contact counts as clinical experience. I'm about to start a position playing with kids in the playroom of a children's hospital. It's going to hard work, but someone's got to do it.

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    free medical clinic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    As I always say...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :thumbup:

not that you always want to...

8. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Absolutely, yes. Also consider hospice, local family planning clinic, residential home for folks with chronic mental or physical problems, and becoming a personal aide to a fellow-student who is physically challenged and can't provide their own self-care.

9. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Speaking as a reapplicant who applied broadly, spoke with many schools (admissions directors typically) regarding what to fix, and was successful 2nd time around..

Many schools have slightly different takes on this. A common thread for a number of schools was that it is important to observe physician/patient interaction through one's clinical volunteer experience. Others may value that the volunteer is just near patients. Some value shadowing, UIC and Colorado told me they put NO value in shadowing, essentially feeling it's a waste of time. (pls note I do not agree, am just repeating what I was told)

What surprised me was that one school (Mayo) stated they value volunteering in general, and they lump clinical and non-clinical volunteering together. Cincy stated they highly value non-clinical volunteering, and consider it totally separate from clinical volunteer work.

So depending on the schools you're looking at, your plans may be great. Or they may not hold too much weight. If you're applying broadly or are not sure what your preferred school values, you may want to add another experience that would provide more patient/physician observation.

I liked the ER because there was lots of flexibility when I was there.. one can interact with patients in the rooms, or family members in the waiting area, or observe the medical staff interacting with patients, taking histories and the like. Or on days I felt unsocial, I'd just restock rooms with supplies. Tried to get into the oncology ward but was told there was not lots for a non-trained (volunteer) to do there, other than shadow.