clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmadell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am applying this summer, and I have a few questions concerning how to categorize some of my experiences. The first one is, if I was a translator at a clinic, but the practice was run and owned by a nurse practitioner, that would be clinical experience, but not shadowing right? Even if the nurse practitioner did everything that a family practice doctor would do? If it was an actual doctor, would it count as shadowing as well? Are there separate places for the different types of experiences on the app, or do you just list your experiences out and they categorize them? Also, if I shadowed a translator, would that be considered clinical experience? We would be there throughout the whole physician/patient interaction because the patient couldn't speak English, so I'm assuming it is...I remember someone on here said something about being able to "smell the patient" and we definitely could. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is better to shadow an actual doctor instead of a nurse practitioner. However, if you have gained meaningful experience from shadowing a Npractioner, go for it. include it in the app.