Clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephenvpr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done some searching and haven't found an answer to this question. I have worked at a retail pharmacy for over a year. I come into contact with patients during every aspect of my job. Consultation is done with the pharmacist however I do answer simple questions. For example if someone asks what Allegra, simvastatin or omeprazole are used for I don't need to consult with the pharmacist before answering. I have also gained knowledge of a vast number of brand-generic drug names and insurance information.

My original idea was to go to pharmacy school but I changed my mind. This setting would be ideal for pharmacy school, but how does it look when applying to medical school. Is it clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

The time you spend at the window speaking to patients is clinical experience. The rest of the job is clinically relevant, and worth mentioning under employment. I'd probably list it all as the latter, making it clear in the narrative portion the percent time your interact with the patients. This clinical experience should not stand alone however, and does not provide clinical environment experience.

Keep in mind that most people at the pharmacy window are not sick people, but are picking up meds to maintain good health.

Keep in mind that most people at the pharmacy window are not sick people, but are picking up meds to maintain good health.

Tell me that when they are breathing their germs of you....ever heard of people with the flu getting Tamiflu....resp infections getting antibiotics...

They are sick and we are constantly in the thick of it....especially right now with all the pollen....:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done some searching and haven't found an answer to this question. I have worked at a retail pharmacy for over a year. I come into contact with patients during every aspect of my job. Consultation is done with the pharmacist however I do answer simple questions. For example if someone asks what Allegra, simvastatin or omeprazole are used for I don't need to consult with the pharmacist before answering. I have also gained knowledge of a vast number of brand-generic drug names and insurance information.

My original idea was to go to pharmacy school but I changed my mind. This setting would be ideal for pharmacy school, but how does it look when applying to medical school. Is it clinical experience?

I just listed it under a job and talked about some of my activities and how they had some clinical nature and relevant......

it is barley clinical and really not work pimping hard.....IMO

Alright thanks for the insight. I am trying to get something setup with a volunteer position in a local ER to get some real clinical experience.

One other thing I had just thought of, it seems that most people start their application process spring semester of junior year and take the MCAT in April of the same year. My GPA will only be ~3.1 by that time. As I complete possibly the summer semester (between junior and senior year) and my senior year do you update your grades as they come in? I would certainly be screened out immediately with that GPA.
I know that interviews are conducted during senior year, with that being said they must have made some preliminary decisions on who to send secondaries to and then who to interview. With that GPA at that time I will not be getting either. Should I just plan on doing an SMP now? Or will they take into consideration the huge upward trend (from 1.2 in my first semester freshman year) and consider me with my lowwww GPA and possibly admit me if my senior year grades are 3.8-4.0ish?

Tell me that when they are breathing their germs of you....ever heard of people with the flu getting Tamiflu....resp infections getting antibiotics...
I said most, not all.

When we write for Tamiflu, we give patients a mask and tell them to wear it while at the pharmacy to protect other folks. Don't they do that at your institution? If not, I hope they gave you the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it arrived.

I said most, not all.

When we write for Tamiflu, we give patients a mask and tell them to wear it while at the pharmacy to protect other folks. Don't they do that at your institution? If not, I hope they gave you the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it arrived.

you KNOW they dont....they just want their drugs....the environment is just like a fast food restaurant.

and we are supposed to get it...I never do and have been fine.

never seen a pt wear a mask...we have to clean the pens and wash hands as much as possible....they will cough on you at the register, etc....

only good thing about a drive thru....but then they are on the phone and too busy to talk to you while blocking the drive thru...

I hate retail......:mad:

it seems that most people start their application process spring semester of junior year and take the MCAT in April of the same year. My GPA will only be ~3.1 by that time. As I complete possibly the summer semester (between junior and senior year) and my senior year do you update your grades as they come in? I would certainly be screened out immediately with that GPA.

I know that interviews are conducted during senior year, with that being said they must have made some preliminary decisions on who to send secondaries to and then who to interview. With that GPA at that time I will not be getting either. Should I just plan on doing an SMP now? Or will they take into consideration the huge upward trend (from 1.2 in my first semester freshman year) and consider me with my lowwww GPA and possibly admit me if my senior year grades are 3.8-4.0ish?
You will not be ready to apply at the end of junior year. One doesn't apply until one's application is in the best shape it can be. The average age of matriculation is 24. But some folks in their late twenties, thrities, or forty-plus are applying to med school. This isn't a race.

Once you submit your transcripts, you cannot update your grades through the application service.

Take your educational plan year by year as you see how you do. Stay open to the idea of an SMP, a fifth year of college, or a postbac.

You will not be ready to apply at the end of junior year. One doesn't apply until one's application is in the best shape it can be. The average age of matriculation is 24. But some folks in their late twenties, thrities, or forty-plus are applying to med school. This isn't a race.

Once you submit your transcripts, you cannot update your grades through the application service.

Take your educational plan year by year as you see how you do. Stay open to the idea of an SMP, a fifth year of college, or a postbac.

Alright thanks a lot for the information.
I will take it semester by semester and see where I'm at. I would still like to take the MCAT next spring providing I've had enough time to study for it since the relevant material would still be fresh. If not spring perhaps summer.

As far as the retail scene goes, not once have I ever seen a pt wear a mask either. Even during the H1N1 craze when we were dispensing 10+ tamiflu per day. It REALLY is like fast food. They don't give a **** about that what we or the pharmacists have to say. They want it cheap and fast no questions.