Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestKelvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wonder can you guys see if my clinical experience is enough and if not give e some advise please I will greatly appreciate it!!! I will apply next cycle so it will be great if you guys can give me some advise on how to improve my clnical experience too!

1) Intern in a Public Hong Kong Hospital Pharmacy for 2 summers
I pretty much did all the pharmacist work since there is wayyyy less liability issues in HK so I can talk to patients, pack pills and stuff that interns cannot do in US. Many elderly patient contact, since it is a public hospital meaning 100% government subsidized, so undeserved old people, especially those with long term diseases - diabetes, go and buy medicine and see doctors very very cheaply.

2) 1 quarter intern in the Speech Pathology Department of a Hospital
It is one of the best experience I ever had. Before starting I though it will be boring but I had the opportunity to follow the Speech Pathologist to travel to different department of the hospital instead of trapping in a department like other volunteers. I get to talk to patients, learn how to care of them and talked to different doctors. Get to assess the talking ability of patients with head trauma under speech pathologist's supervision. Didn't continue since class conflict unfortunately.

3) 1 year shadowing and assisting a Pediatric Anesthesiologist in the children surgery center
Best experience since I get to see many different child surgery, also get to see adult heart and other types of surgery too. I eventually get to know the physician very closely and he taught me how to set up the anesthetic machine, do IVs (on him for practice), put breathing tube in and show me how to use other medical equipment. Get to help the doctor to move patients around, claim them before going to surgery and stabilize them. Talk to many other doctors and residents about what medical school is like and how they got in. Truly gave me an insight on a doctor's live and their daily work, also what they gone through in medical school and their stress.

I know this is a longgggggg thread so thanks for reading through it and I greatly appreciate if you can kindly leave advise or some comments on the experience I had.

Thankyou!

Members don't see this ad.