Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once a week I volunteer at a children's hospital. I'm assigned at the hem/onc unit playroom just playing with the kids. At times I am sent to their rooms if they're in iso. Does this count as clinical experience or would I need to look for something a bit more interactive? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Once a week I volunteer at a children's hospital. I'm assigned at the hem/onc unit playroom just playing with the kids. At times I am sent to their rooms if they're in iso. Does this count as clinical experience or would I need to look for something a bit more interactive? Thanks!

close enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! But should I look into other hospitals or should I just continue this for about two more years? I'm worried because since it's a children's hospital, schools might think that I don't have an exposure to patients of all ages. I'm wondering if this would have any negative bearing on my app.

If you like doing it, keep doing it.

If you don't, do something else.

If an adcom can't see past "oh, it's only working with kids," I'd have serious misgivings about their program. But that's just me. Good luck!