1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Clinical Experiences

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by MCP1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MCP1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am somewhat nervous about my "clinical" stuff and would like to get others opinions on what I have done/is this enough etc:

Volunteering in the Family Waiting Room - focus on mostly interacting with patients' families while the patients were in surgery.

Volunteering in PACU: both assisted the nurses as well as interacted with patients who came out of surgery (getting them drinks etc, talking to them, transporting them to rooms)

Volunteering in Emergency Department: Ask patients and families if they need anything while waiting around in addition to some supply stocking.

Shadowing of two oncologists.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

First, how long have you done these activities?

4. MCP1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Volunteering in the Family Waiting Room 2 Semesters (Sophmore Year - 2-4 Hours a Week)

Volunteering in PACU: 2 Semesters (Junior Year - 4 Hours a Week)

Volunteering in Emergency Department: 1 semester 3-4 Hours a week

Shadowing of two oncologists - 1 of them was during the summer between Freshman Sophmore Year 40 Hours. The other one was during second semester sophmore year for about 50 Hours.

5. J ROD

Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think in terms of hours and doing volunteering offer several years you are good.

But, you do not have a continous run at one volunteering place. Most schools like to see 3-4 hrs a week at the same place over a couple of years.

I still think overall you are okay though.

I would suggest sticking with one place from now on.

Also, I think you need to broaden your shadowing to include some primary care.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

The OP is in the same place if all those experiences were in one hospital. And I'd have said 1.5 years shows sufficient consistency.

MCP1, I think your volunteer clinical experiences look fine.

7. J ROD

Resident [Any Field]
    True. If they are at the same hospital, then you are fine with that too.

My bad!

8. MCP1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, they were all in the same hospital. I would just switch around departments to get a feel for different areas of the hospital.

Thanks for the reassurance. I read a couple post on here that made me stress about not having enough clinical experiences, but its good to know I should be all right.

9. J ROD

Resident [Any Field]
    I would still do more shadowing to include more diversity in your app than just the speciality of oncology.

10. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

I don't think there is any problem with rotating volunteer jobs. Frankly, some of the gigs - even the good ones - are so darn repetitive that it is hard to stay "up" for more than a semester in some of them...

I think that what MCP1 has done, experience wise, is excellent.

11. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree as well that the amount of clinical volunteerism is fine. But I also like JDUB's idea of shadowing a doc in primary care to give more breadth of experience of what life as a physician entails.

12. MCP1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I will give the idea of shadowing a primary care doc some thought.

However, my Dad is a radiologist and a close family friend is a primary care doc. I have spoken to both of them about medicine and the lifestyle, but I suppose it may be best to actually shadow.

13. J ROD

Resident [Any Field]

It is more for appearance than anything. You need to act like you are interested in the basics even if you are not.