clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyehope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by eyehope
Here's the deal: I've done pretty well in my first two years at a ho-hum state school (maybe 70% honors) and have a step 1 > 245. However, I ended up with a Pass in internal medicine. The comments from interns, residents were generally good, but not outstanding. I had an average shelf score.

Perhaps I am being a little bit premature and a little bit paranoid by asking this, but how much will this hinder my application? Let's say I only 'pass' my upcoming rotations, but do well in my optho elective. How bad will this look to directors?

I am not trolling for responses. I just want to get honest opinions on my competitiveness (especially since I've heard that medicine, surgery, and optho grades are very important) to determine whether (and how much) I should look into other fields.

Thanks.

In my opinion, you'll be fine. You don't have to have honors in medicine to be competitive. I was informed that programs look more at the surgical grades. However, just make sure you get honors in ophthalmology.