Clinical/Health related experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Matrix, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Matrix

Matrix Member

Would you consider volunteering in an ER (doing simple errands + observing the ER), visiting nursing homes or kids with cancer a Clinical/Health related experience? What about shadowing a physician?
    Or does Clinical/Health related experience mean work where you actually treat the patients and are clinically involved (such as paramedics, EMT, nurses aid, medical tech, phlebotomist, etc) rather than just observing or visiting.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. synite

synite Senior Member

everything you mentioned is clinical/health related experience. you don't need to do anything amazing. just observing medicine at work is valuable, and i'm pretty sure all med schools feel the same way...

4. meatloaf king

meatloaf king Member

You could clean out bedpans and still see/ be with the patients. I think they want you to see the doctor/patient interaction so you can make an informed descicion, knowing that medicine is dealing with human people (and human problems other than the one treatable.) Example: How do you deal with a patient who has severe lower back problems (vertebral lysthesis - very painful) and calls for an increase of some hefty pain meds (on narcotics) but who's wife calls and asks you to lower them (possible abuse and dependancy). That's what they want you to see.

5. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

Is hospice volunteering considered "clinical" even though it does NOT take place in the hospital???

6. jcd311

jcd311 Member

I'm pretty sure it is... :)