Clinical Hours but no Clinical Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnitetots12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen several forums where people say clinical volunteering is a necessity and many others replying that isn't true. Can any adcom or faculty give me any input on this? I have about 1400 paid clinical hours and 200 nonclinical volunteering, and I'm wondering if this is a problem. Additionally, will this contrast raise some eyebrows - I like volunteering, but it's obvious I enjoyed my time being directly involved with patients more (and I happened to be paid for it). I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I'm wondering if I should hold off then.

Members don't see this ad.

No, the important thing is clinical experience. This can be paid OR volunteer work. What is a necessity is non-clinical volunteer work, which are things such as working with/at soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Clinical experience, paid or unpaid, is necessary. Volunteer activity, clinical or non-clinical, is highly valued and some might say that non-clinical volunteering is a greater measure of altruism (or knowing the need to check a box) than clinical volunteering where you might believe that you are getting two boxes checked at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, you are MORE than fine; most important thing is to gain clinical experience in whichever way you can (shadowing, volunteering, employment, research etc.) Your clinical employment will be brought up at many interviews especially if you had direct patient contact, and is a much more valuable experience than the typical hospital volunteering. Don't worry - just write and speak intelligently about it.

And no, the contrast won't raise eyebrows - it just makes sense that you'd obviously do more of the activity that is relevant to you and pays you. If anyone is going to ding you for that, eff em.

Reactions: 1 user