Clinical hours/call/EM shift length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanaa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not opposed to working hard (ok maybe that's not true all the time) but I do enjoy my time off (and time with the kids). I was wondering if any residents/rotating students could comment on:
1) the following programs and their "time commitment", EM schedules, and call schedules
2) if any are programs especially known to be malignant with duty hour violations, etc.

Metrohealth vs. Ohio State vs. UVA vs. Mayo

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

shanaa said:
I am not opposed to working hard (ok maybe that's not true all the time) but I do enjoy my time off (and time with the kids). I was wondering if any residents/rotating students could comment on:
1) the following programs and their "time commitment", EM schedules, and call schedules
2) if any are programs especially known to be malignant with duty hour violations, etc.

Metrohealth vs. Ohio State vs. UVA vs. Mayo

Thanks!

MetroHealth's shifts are 10 hrs both at Metro (2/3 residency) and Cleveland Clinic (1/3). You work 20 as an intern, 19 as a second year, 18 as a third year. First month is orientation, you have more didactics, and work about 10 shifts. During December/Jan for that block, we pull people back into the ED and you get an unwritten week of vacation for either Xmas or NY. Also, because everyone's in the ED, you work less shifts and the shifts are very laid back.

There are 4 months of call in intern year, 3 in second year, none in third year. Our call schedule is approx q4-5. Even trauma (which used to be q2 old-school style) is on a night float system; a kinder, gentler trauma service.

I wouldn't describe any of our rotations as malignant; I thought inpatient peds (which will be done away with in favor of a second PICU or Peds EM month) was boring, but not malignant.

Let me know if you have further questions.

mike

At Mayo, while in the ED you work an average of 49 hrs. / wk in shifts that range form 6 hrs to 10 hrs (12 hour shifts on the helicopter only). Generally works out to 20-21 shifts per 4 week month. There is no difference between years, except in which types of shifts you can work (there are "senior shifts" that involve running the critical area of the ED "on your own" - attending is there but you run the junior residents).

There are only 3 months of true "call" and one month of home call in the residency. True call is q4 on OB (R1), PICU(R2), and CCU(R2). There is home call for ortho/hand(R2). The remainder of our critical care time is on shifts of between 10 and 14 hours. Violations do not occur, and if they would the EM residents would be pulled from that service.

We are somewhat unique (I think) because most of our "off-service" rotations are either critical care (5 months total - see above for schedule) or are linked to the department in some way (e.g., when on psych, or ortho trauma, ortho hand, etc. you cover the ED for those services and have no floor duties). This limits the amount of call greatly. The full schedule is on both the website as well as in a scutwork review.

Please feel free to PM me or post any other questions.

- H