Clinical Internships for Pre-med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braindoc2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am trying to find internships for this summer (2013) that involve clinical skills and shadowing. I have done a lot of research, but all I can find is summer internships that involve research projects. Does anyone know of any summer programs that do not involve research, but instead focus on shadowing and learning clinical skills?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I am trying to find internships for this summer (2013) that involve clinical skills and shadowing. I have done a lot of research, but all I can find is summer internships that involve research projects. Does anyone know of any summer programs that do not involve research, but instead focus on shadowing and learning clinical skills?

Thanks!

What kind of "clinical skills" do you think you are qualified to learn?

You will do these things in medical school. Research is your friend; seriously, go do research, get something published, etc. For clinical experience, volunteer at a free clinic. There are some good summer programs but most are either targeted at URM students or very high achieving students. You might contact the local med school and see what they offer.

If you already have something published, then develop new hobbies. Get off the "typical pre-med" train for a bit and enjoy life!

If you can't find a "clinical internship" you can definitely get enough clinical experience by just volunteering a few hours a week. If you are dead set on finding a clinical internship though, I would suggest going to your career services department on campus, I believe most undergrad's have a department like that as a resource for students looking for internships. You could also try internship.com or internmatch.com or even just calling your local hospital and asking if they have anything available.

It would be difficult for anyone on here to direct you to a specific internship, I mean I'm just spitballing here but I don't think there are enough SDN's users from wilmington, NC that you would be able to get a response about an exact internship.

Consider EMT, scribing, CNA etc.. if you are looking for something more extensive with a longer commitment

Members don't see this ad :)
Some hospitals have these types of programs. If you have some time to kill, look around the websites of the hospitals in your area and see what kind of student/volunteer opportunities they have.

What kind of "clinical skills" do you think you are qualified to learn?

You will do these things in medical school. Research is your friend; seriously, go do research, get something published, etc.
For clinical experience, volunteer at a free clinic. There are some good summer programs but most are either targeted at URM students or very high achieving students. You might contact the local med school and see what they offer.

If you already have something published, then develop new hobbies. Get off the "typical pre-med" train for a bit and enjoy life!

:thumbup: Very wise.

There's the Michael E. DeBakey program at BCM, but generally, for clinical experience it may be easier to shadow, volunteer (clinically), or get a job in a clinical setting.

Columbia, Albert Einstein and NYU have paid clinical programs. Look at SMDEP, these programs are made for premed and they are paid, as well. Do research if you are into research, if not there are plenty of opportunities for you to do things that you are interested in. The AAMC website has a list of all of the programs around the country. There really are a myriad of them here. Good luck.