Clinical Job or More Clinical Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detective SnowBucket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into gap year with 106 hrs clinical & 175 hrs non-clinical volunteering (both with an alzheimer's support organization, so not exactly undeserved).

I'm looking at a full-time clinical job for gap year (Scribe, clinical research asst, medical asst. etc.) which would give me massive amounts of clinical exposure. Working full time, I'll only have time for 1 volunteer activity (3-4 hrs per weekend) so I'm wondering if it would be more valuable to do clinical or non-clinical volunteering for re-app in this case.

Would also like gap year job advice/suggestions. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Do more nonclinical volunteering since you will be working a clinical job. Your clinical volunteering still isn’t ideal but at least you will get lots of clinical experience. More nonclinical volunteering will give you more balance since you will have enough clinical exposure. Help disadvantaged populations.

Clinical experience includes both volunteering and paid work. You don't have to do both. Get a paid clinical job then do some non-clinical volunteering (preferably with underserved communities) and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user