Clinical Job vs Clinical volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I had a question as to whether having a clinical job or clinical volunteering is better. I have clinical job planned for the fall, but was wondering if I should do clinical volunteering too as I have 100 hours of clinical volunteering from the past and 50 hours of shadowing. If I don't do clinical volunteering this fall, I will most likely do in the spring. Thank you all for the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

100 hours of clinical volunteering and 50 hours of shadowing should be enough in addition to the clinical job.

Reactions: 1 user
I think usually a clinical job is better simply because you're given more responsibilities, so you have more to talk about/write about.

When I was onboarding at a children's hospital pre-COVID to volunteer, there was a lot of red tape, and what you were delegated to do was essentially just socially interacting with the patients. Of course this can lead to a lot of meaningful interactions, but a paid job will let you see the more "real" side of medicine as well (e.g. I now see first-hand just how much paperwork goes into primary care), simply because it is paid work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think usually a clinical job is better simply because you're given more responsibilities, so you have more to talk about/write about.

When I was onboarding at a children's hospital pre-COVID to volunteer, there was a lot of red tape, and what you were delegated to do was essentially just socially interacting with the patients. Of course this can lead to a lot of meaningful interactions, but a paid job will let you see the more "real" side of medicine as well (e.g. I now see first-hand just how much paperwork goes into primary care), simply because it is paid work.
continuing with this idea, is it okay to apply with ~1000hrs of paid clinical job but zero clinical volunteering? I have non clinical volunteering but all my clinical is paid or shadowing only

continuing with this idea, is it okay to apply with ~1000hrs of paid clinical job but zero clinical volunteering? I have non clinical volunteering but all my clinical is paid or shadowing only
Clinical experience can be paid or unpaid. Volunteering can be clinical or non-clinical. Some applicants like to kill two birds with one stone and do clinical volunteering but some adcom members seem to more highly value those applicants who do non-clinical volunteering plus paid clinical employment.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical experience can be paid or unpaid. Volunteering can be clinical or non-clinical. Some applicants like to kill two birds with one stone and do clinical volunteering but some adcom members seem to more highly value those applicants who do non-clinical volunteering plus paid clinical employment.
Could one just do both clinical volunteering one day of the week (say Saturday) then nonclinical volunteering (say Sunday) on another day?

Hey everyone! I had a question as to whether having a clinical job or clinical volunteering is better. I have clinical job planned for the fall, but was wondering if I should do clinical volunteering too as I have 100 hours of clinical volunteering from the past and 50 hours of shadowing. If I don't do clinical volunteering this fall, I will most likely do in the spring. Thank you all for the advice in advance!
It sounds like you have clinical exposure covered. Do you have community service?