Quantcast

Clinical job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdeka

Female
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering what clinical job I should get for my gap year while I retake some classes.

CNA - requires certification
Patient Care Tech - requires CNA certification
Scribe - applying but no luck? :(

Anything else?

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of those are great. As well as EMT.

Reactions: 1 user

DingoPingo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i rarely see this on these forums but if you're interested in patient contact without need for taking classes, try finding an entry-level therapist job

Anxious Affect

Just Keep Swimming
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some Medical Assistant jobs don't require certification and instead train you once you're hired (as with my job). Do some searching. Also, becoming a Medical Receptionist wouldn't be bad, while it isn't necessarily as exciting you learn a lot about insurance/healthcare programs and advance your medical terminology.

Reactions: 1 users

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like posted above, you may find places that will train you on the job for some of these positions. CNA is the quickest since you can get certified in as little as 6 weeks. The PCT part shouldn't require anything extra. In my area most hospital jobs are considered PCT positions and only requires the CNA certificate.

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as Behavioral Health Tech (Sitter). Very nice patient contact. I'm actually at work now. Love working overnight cuz I can use my phone as the patient sleeps to pass time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I sit with patients occasionally at my hospital and this is a nice perk. That is, until you get stuck with a tiny old woman who is somehow able to stiff arm you out of the way as she dive tackles a shower curtain because she hates pink.

Last edited:

Nerdeka

Female
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm going to have to look for something that doesn't require CNA. :( Unfortunately, I can't find many classes and the ones I do start in August and end in October.

Reaction score
becoming a Medical Receptionist wouldn't be bad, while it isn't necessarily as exciting you learn a lot about insurance/healthcare programs and advance your medical terminology.
Actually, if you get a job like this in a small private office, you are likely to have more patient contact and even be called on to assist with minor procedures (handing items to the doc), collect specimens, room patients, field calls from the lab or hospital, prioritize calls needing physician input, etc.

S

Sardinia

@Nerdeka You can work as a CNA without the license as an NA (nursing assistant). In the NY/NJ area this arrangement is usually made if you let the employer know that you enlisting or currently taking a CNA program. However, your scope of practice is limited, although you will still get plenty of patient contact. Many places with signs that indicate they are looking for CNAs are willing to do this as a sort of pre-hire process in hopes of locking you down before you go somewhere else after you get your license. Also, most CNA programs involve a required clinical hour segment at a nursing home where they directly do most of the things a CNA would do towards the end of the class: perineal care, hoyer lifting, bed baths, so on and so forth. This helps for people who are looking for direct patient experience with some sort of arbitrary requirement e.g. 500 clinical hours or so.

As for scribing I suggest you look into applying at either ScribeAmerica of PhysAssist. Prior knowledge on how to scribe is not necessary, however I suggest picking up The Ultimate Medical Scribe Handbook if you have time to read/digest information outside of your DIY post-bac curriculum. If you were thinking about potential opportunities as a PCT I can tell you that this one is largely dependent on the organizations hiring. In my local area, this tends to be hospitals and staffing companies that outsource to hospitals e.g. Meridian. If you demonstrate a sincere interest in patient care, some hospitals will consider volunteers to be trained by a PCT in order for them to perform certain duties. By sincere interest, this can be demonstrated by telling the hospital that you are going to enroll in a CNA course or currently taking it even before completing it. The interest in medicine if properly expressed/shown is the only requirement that a majority of these places are looking for when it comes to newly minted college graduates.

The market is horrible and people are slow to respond. However, the odds are by no means stacked against you. It helps a lot sometimes to see if a place is hiring and to print out your resume and drop it in person in order for the staff to see you because it gives you the opportunity to express a sincere interest in making the location your very first job outside of college. This cannot be shown through automated resume filters and online applications which are NOT your friend in this process and will slow you down considerably.

If you have more detailed questions feel free to PM me. I can talk over some things with you regarding resume presentation or some basic headhunting tips.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm going to have to look for something that doesn't require CNA. :( Unfortunately, I can't find many classes and the ones I do start in August and end in October.
I don't know how it is where you live, but in Minnesota I was able to just test out and I didn't have to take the class. I just showed up to a test date a couple weeks after finals after I had spent a little time studying the skills for the test. Some places with even let you work for 4-6 months without certification and will train you on site to take the exam. The test definitely isn't rocket science.