Clinical lab dress code: 2 piece swimsuit?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoeKitmin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm just about ready to DIE. I'm accepted into USC's DPT program and upon reading the student handbook I learned that women are supposed to wear a two piece swimsuits in clinical lab. Am I the only person not comfortable with this?? Is there anyone out there who's already a student that can shed some light on this policy? Is it strictly enforced? What's your experience? Any input will be much appreciated. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I'm just about ready to DIE. I'm accepted into USC's DPT program and upon reading the student handbook I learned that women are supposed to wear a two piece swimsuits in clinical lab. Am I the only person not comfortable with this?? Is there anyone out there who's already a student that can shed some light on this policy? Is it strictly enforced? What's your experience? Any input will be much appreciated. :scared:

wth. Are you serious? I had no idea...

...yes, I'm afraid so...
I'm totally uncomfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get ready for a lot of touching and partial nudity!

We can all wear gym shorts and t shirts, but the shirts come off a lot. Girls wear sports bras. It was uncomfortable at first, but we are very used to it now. First day of class we had to palpate the pubic symphisis. Wasn't expecting that! But yeah, get used to it.

You know those old ladies who always walk around the public pool's locker room completely nude carrying out a conversation like nothing is at all out of the ordinary? Yeah, that's going to be you in a few months. Except you won't be completely naked. ;)

Seriously, you get over it incredibly fast. We wear sports bras and short shorts, and sweats and hoodie when we're not actually practicing. No one blinks twice. And I'm in no way comfortable with my body. But I am in lab. It's weird, but that's the way it is.

Wow! Yeah, I've only heard of the sports bra/shorts thing... But, sooner or later you won't even think twice about it... I'd pick something totally crazy as my swimsuit... you know, a conversation starter lol.

Bikini tops are very common in labs during PT school. We had massage class our very first semester and it is set up that way so everyone becomes very comfortable with each others body. By the time you finish PT school, you are going to know every single dysfunction/deformity/abnormality your classmates have!

Damn, I REALLY need to hit the gym more in these remaining weeks before school starts. I am not comfortable walking around half-naked at school, but I guess I will get used to it!

We generally wear a sports bra and shorts in lab. When we're being shown a technique and not actually practicing on each other during the lab, most people will put their shirts back on, then take them off again to practice. We were recommended to wear a two piece swimsuit for our SIJ dysfunction lab, but everyone just stayed in the sports bra/shorts combo. Like everyone said, you get used to it! I'm a 2nd year, and today was the first time we had to actually take off our bras and wear a gown so that we could practice manual lymphatic drainage techniques. Back in the day it would've been awkward, but we were all like, ok, we can do this.

Serious question here...

were any of the classmates not in great shape or have stretchmarks? Cuz after having my baby... I do :( and I'm mortified... I don't even wear a two piece by my daughter :(

Serious question here...

were any of the classmates not in great shape or have stretchmarks? Cuz after having my baby... I do :( and I'm mortified... I don't even wear a two piece by my daughter :(

I am right there with you, girl! I have stretch marks from my baby girl but I'm finally thinning out (two years later). I guess if we really want to be PTs we're just gonna have to deal with it! good luck to you!

Serious question here...

Yes. There are all shapes and sizes. Seriously, don't even worry about it. You will get sooooooo used to it.

Well folks, ya still have 2 months to get in better shape!

There are definitely students of different weights and fitness levels. It's nothing to be self-conscious about. Everyone is trying to learn the techniques, not checking out every detail of your body.

Realy, just think of it as going to the doctor :) Gotta practice somehow!

There are definitely students of different weights and fitness levels. It's nothing to be self-conscious about. Everyone is trying to learn the techniques, not checking out every detail of your body.

BRAVO, Akiramay!!

We will also be practicing and palpating on different body shapes.

To the original poster, your body is nothing to be embarrassed about, I know cliche. But I seriously doubt that at your PT program, one of your class mates are going to be looking at your body shape and thinking OMG!! More than likely they will be thinking I need to understand what I'm doing and why it would need to be done. I'm an older PT student that starts in 5 weeks (YIKES!!) and I have not been as diligent about exercise as I should have been, so I am not built like a supermodel, kinda short and heavy in the thighs. I'm going to be embarrassed, but like other posters have stated, I'll get over it and be all the better for understanding what our future clients are thinking.