clinical laboratory science degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about my degree is it considered allied health by med schools? I have taken zoology & botany, general chem 1&2, organic chem 1&2, cal 1, physics 1&2 and stats that were all part of my degree plan. I will take biochem next semester which will complete my pre-req.

Members don't see this ad.

My school has it listed under biology- clinical lab science. But it will be a bachelors.

just fyi, I also have a degree that is a subfield in the sciences and for the longest time I thought AMCAS would not consider any of my courses under the science category (BIG mistake lol). Almost all of my courses were counted in the sgpa and AMCAS reassigned each one of my classes under either biology/math/chem. Pretty cool to have something unique but also a bit nerve wrecking because if your program is very science heavy it can be difficult to maintain a more competitive rapport. Hope this helps and applies to you!

I would also suggest that if that is your profile picture, you might want to change it for anonymity purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
just fyi, I also have a degree that is a subfield in the sciences and for the longest time I thought AMCAS would not consider any of my courses under the science category (BIG mistake lol). Almost all of my courses were counted in the sgpa and AMCAS reassigned each one of my classes under either biology/math/chem. Pretty cool to have something unique but also a bit nerve wrecking because if your program is very science heavy it can be difficult to maintain a more competitive rapport. Hope this helps and applies to you!

I would also suggest that if that is your profile picture, you might want to change it for anonymity purposes.
nah

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My school has Medical lab science listed as an allied health profession.

So I took classes at the med center.

Now the classes are rough, and I likely won't make it into med school as my GPA is so low(really ****ed up start of college)

Wish they would see that "upward trend"

I do not like my career, and I'm looking at acclerated BSN programs with hopes of getting into CRNA school down the road.

My understanding from my fellow clinical lab science friends that applied to med school was that AMCAS considered most of the CLS courses to be science courses rather than allied health.

How each individual med school/admissions committee views the degree seems to vary quite a bit. Some like my current and former state school seem to view it very positively, especially if you have some actual work experiencethrown in there as well. They've had great success with those students. Others seem to view it as a science light type of vocational degree with less rigourous science classes like some nursing programs seem to have.

But, personally, I strongly disagree with that as the prereqs for the CLS program are the same bio and chem courses taken as the science majors take. I did a hard science degree before the CLS degree and the CLS degree was definitely rigorous at my school. The CLS ---> Med school folks I know have all said they felt the degree has been helpful to them in med school and beyond.

Did a quick reverse image search of that pic. I really doubt it's OP..
778227.jpg

@Gurkhali I love you. Did you decide what type of work you're going to pursue? I remember you were considering doing something clinical, CNA related.

778227.jpg

@Gurkhali I love you. Did you decide what type of work you're going to pursue? I remember you were considering doing something clinical, CNA related.

:X3:

I actually landed a PCA job which is pretty similar to CNA. I work in the Medical Intermediate Care Unit so it's pretty nice. Nice pay bump from my last job and manageable with my schedule! I'm glad I didn't pick scribing haha.

Reactions: 1 user
@Gurkhali I'm happy for you and hope you continue to transition smoothly. Hit me up if you want to talk to someone if you hit a roadblock. My life is a story about roadblocks.