Clinical Limitations/Advantages of an International Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2Doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some medical schools have opportunities for students to travel outside of the United States for a clinical rotation. From a clinical training perspective, is there any advantage to doing this over, say, doing a rotation at a rural site in the USA? If medical student went to Central America or Africa, for example, would the student be allowed to practice medical/surgical techniques not normally allowed in the USA until residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Language learning, exposure to a variety of conditions one may not see in US, experience with a different healthcare delivery system. Would not expect (and wouldn’t really be ethical) to go do things you’re not qualified to do in the US.

I'm highly interested in doing an international rotation during my clinical years but a lot of that stems from being interested in infectious disease and epidemiology. I think if you're interested in that sub-specialty, an international rotation would be beneficial

Language learning, exposure to a variety of conditions one may not see in US, experience with a different healthcare delivery system. Would not expect (and wouldn’t really be ethical) to go do things you’re not qualified to do in the US.
Difference is you may get to do a lot more of what you rarely get in USA as a student (ex. chest tubes).