clinical masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anwang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinion on clinical masters. What do you all think? Should I apply to both clinical Ph.D. and masters incase I'm not accepted? What good is a clinical masters if that’s all I do and where are the best clinical masters programs to apply for? Will I be able to take that masters to the next level and get a ph.d. when I'm done or are my chances worse at that point? Also, can I make any $ with a clinical masters...?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what you want to do. If your goal is simply to do therapy, then a counseling degree might be a good alternative to a Ph.D. program. In many states you can do therapy with just an MA and make decent money.

If, however, your goal is a Ph.D in clinical psychology, you would be better off getting a Research rather than Clinical Master's Degree. Most Ph.D. programs will only accept certain classes as transfer credits, and these are more likely to be reseach based classes than the clinical classes. You would also want an MA program where you complete a true research thesis. Most Ph.D. programs won't require you to do another one if you've already completed one.

If you're not interested in doing Master's level therapy then the biggest advantage to MA programs is they can help you show admissions committees (and to yourself) that you're ready for Graduate work. Doing well on an MA can sometimes offset a low GPA or GRE, but if you have strong credentials, already, you would be better served getting a job as a Research Assistant and adding as much research experience as possible to your C.V.

If, however, your goal is a Ph.D in clinical psychology, you would be better off getting a Research rather than Clinical Master's Degree.

I'd have to agree. I think the clinical MS may be more interesting, but I think the research focus would help you more in the long run (especially with getting into a program)

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Richmond, William and Mary, and Wake Forest come to mind. I know the first 2 offer good funding. These programs have a reputation of funneling into PhD programs consistently.

If you are looking for a master's program that will help you become a stronger candidate for PHD programs in the future, focus on master's programs that are between 36-42 credits (not the 60 credit terminal master's programs) and have a research emphasis, such as a thesis track or option. Check out Loyola College in Maryland. They have excellent master's programs and also a PsyD and their faculty have made great contributions to the field. They offer a master's program in clinical and counseling with a practitioner track and a thesis track. The thesis track also requires that you do at least one research externship, so there is a lot in place to prepare student for PHD programs. The thesis track also requires a year of Research Methods and a course in SPSS. You can't beat that training and experience! Everyone I've known in the thesis track have gotten accepted to PHD programs.

Also, master's programs that could prepare you for getting into a PHD program maybe be some experimental psychology program. It really all depends on the school and how they package such training. For some schools it's a master's in experimental psych with a thesis option and research emphasis, for others it may be a clinical psych master similar to what I described about Loyola. Just read the small print and you'll see. I hope this helps.

Is anyone applying to one of these masters programs?
I applied to Wake Forest and I was wondering if anyone has heard back and/or how competitive their program is?

I am applying to Loyola College in Maryland's Clinical Psych. Master's thesis track. Does the clinical/counseling matter much when I apply to PhD programs? Do Counseling PhD's prefer applicants with master's in counseling psych?

I briefly looked at the Loyola MS, and I thought it was a solid program. I really liked the faculty, and it is in a great location. (I lived in b'more for 6+ years, so I am a bit biased) I think it is a quality MS program, and should be on people's short list who are looking to go this route.

-t