Clinical MSW programs? and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDsWife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am 23, and graduating undergrad from Sonoma State next spring. I am applying to MSW programs this coming fall, my concentration would be in Health. I eventually want to work with chronically ill children, in hospitals. Here is my dilemma...

Major- History&Human Development (history-honors society)
Minor-Psychology
GPA-3.5
Research-member of research team focused on homosexual prejudice for a year.
Founder&Vice President of Human Development Society
Internships-year long program with a homeless family, two month internship as a case manager intern with behavioral problematic foster children. (cases I worked with issues stemmed from medical problems) I also am on the board for the PKD/ARPKD alliance, where I fundraising, come forward with proposals for establishing different educational and mentoring programs for children with this disease.

I am applying to UCLA, USC, Berkley, CSUF, NYU, Boston, and 2 back up schools.

My fear is that I have to rest on the GRE. I am set to take it in the fall...however, I am HORRIBLE at timed tests. I did extremely poorly on the SAT, and am afraid that it will happen again.

My personal statement, I hope, will help me out, I do have this chronic, degenerative, genetic disease. I have an intense and applicable personal story, which I hope will show universities my desire.

My question is, Do you think I have a chance to get into these schools? Do you have any other Schools in California that have a concentration in Health services? Also, if my number one school would be UCLA, do they look more at GRE and GPA, or do you think my personal experience will help???? Or my involvement with the Alliance? Will this help, should I even mention it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
well...31 views and no replys! :) lol hmmmm.... would love some input!

I have experience applying to MA and PhD programs only so my comments are more general about grad school admissions than MSW programs. You look like you'll be a competitive candidate to me. Perhaps consider more than 2 back up schools.

The best way to gage your chances are to look up the admissions statistics and compare your numbers to the average admitted student. If you're in the ballpark, you'll be considered for admission.

Aside from statistics, your application will be judged in part by how the faculty perceive you "fitting" with the style of their program. Carefully read the programs' websites and try to get a feel for the program. Speaking with current students in the programs helps too. When writing your SOP, illustrate the similarities between your interests/goals and their program.

Regarding your SOP, I think you should weave your experiences into a well-organized essay that tells your story. Relate all of your experiences to your current interests and future goals. Certainly include your personal narrative about your disease if you want but make it into a story of your strengths and don't give it more attention than you need to. That is, if the disease has had serious effects on your daily life, I (as a admissions committee member) would want to hear more about it than if it had little affect on your life. I hope that makes sense.

GRE: If you're not great at timed tests, you should work extra hard to get a good score. A very low score will hurt your chances. I suggest you invest in a GRE course such as Kaplan and fully dedicate yourself to the course.

Best of luck and congrats on your accomplishments so far!

J9

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree with the above poser recommending more than 2 backup schools.

I think your app is great and from my understanding MSW programs aren't looking for amazing GRE scores like phd programs are. I think if you score above a 1000 you are fine when combined with your stats.

Once you register for the GREs you will find you get emails almost every month from Kaplan about free tests that you can go somewhere and take (usually a classroom of sorts). They run it like a normal pencil and paper GRE (timed and all) and then they go over it with you and tell you what areas you need to work on. I suggest doing as many of these as possible. It may be possible to go to the Kaplan website and register for these classes without being registered for the GREs? I'm not sure

I have a friend who attended a top clinically oriented social work program and barely broke 1000 on his GRE. Actually I don't think he even hit 1000...

Thankyou!!! I appreciate the advice! I am going to get into a GRE course, and I will definitely explain how my disease doesnt affect my daily life, rather mentally!!! :) :)