Clinical Neuropsych Must-Have Texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdawg2017

Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some leftover grant funds this FY that I need to spend or lose, so I am wondering what are the neuropsych folks' top recommendations for textbooks/must have texts? I already have the compendium (a very generous gift from my undergrad mentor when I got into grad school), so I am looking for similar reference books or really anything you think would be an asset to take with me to internship in about 1.5 years (hopefully, haha!).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If your version of the compendium isn't the most recent one, you could certainly update it. And yes, there's Lezak, Morgan & Ricker, the Little Black Book (not sure if a new edition is forthcoming), Heilman & Valenstein, and Mitrushina (also unsure if any new edition is forthcoming). It's not neuropsych per se, but Miller & Boeve's Behavioral Neurology of Dementia is a good text. And of course some of the other Neurology staples (e.g., Blumenfeld, Adams & Victor).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on taking neuropsych boards, purchasing the 2nd ed. Stucky book may be worthwhile (if only for the practice exams).

I was in a similar situation earlier this year and, in addition to some of the books mentioned above, I also purchased:

Feedback that Sticks
The Boston Process Approach to Neuropsychological Assessment
Neuropsychology & Cognitive Neurology of Parkinson's Disease and Other Movement Disorders
Pediatric Neuropsychology (Yeates, 2nd ed.)
Handbook of Medical Neuropsychology (2nd ed.)
HAndbook on the Neuropsychology of Aging and Dementia (2nd ed.)

Lots of overlap in content across books, but I ended up using the money to really fill out my neuropsych library.

Fujii's Conducting a Culturally Informed Neuropsychological Evaluation is also an important read -- wish I was exposed to this book earlier in my training

Good recs from others. Shout out for any of the “Handbook of X” series published by Springer. I get a lot of mileage out of those.

What ever you do, don’t see if any of these are on library genesis.

Reactions: 4 users
I also recommend the second edition of essentials of report writing by Mather and Schneider.

In addition to everything listed above: Kolb and Whishaw is a pretty good intro text. Not sure if it's an essential, but I still find myself referring to it from time to time.

Also I know you said you had the compendium but they did release the 4th edition in December if you want the new one.

Thank you everyone for the many wonderful suggestions! I will be sure to refer back and purchase many of these ASAP before my FY ends haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for the many wonderful suggestions! I will be sure to refer back and purchase many of these ASAP before my FY ends haha.

Oh yeah, my spouse and I always go on spending sprees with other people's money at the end of the year :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user