clinical/outcomes research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JScrusader, Oct 6, 2002.

1. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member

Anyone have any experience? If so, then you must feel my pain as I pour over a hundred charts mindlessly entering data.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    oh yes, the nightmare of benchmark outcome studies are flooding back from the depths of my memory. =(

4. isidella

Gees I wish. The trial I am working on won't have outcome for five years. . . That's what I get for loving cancer research. I'll be long gone before I know the relevance of the work I am doing now.

What exactly are you working on if you don't mind telling?

5. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member

I am working for an ENT who specializes in ears(otology). The study is comparing hearing results after different surgical procedures for correcting otosclerosis(fixation of the stapes footplate), stapedotomy/stapedectomy vs. a procedure where no prosthesis is used. In the above mentioned operations, the footplate of the stapes is either removed or a hole within the footplate is created with a laser. A prosthesis is then hooked over the incus and placed into contact with the oval window of the cochlea. In the operation w/o a prosthesis, the focus of the otosclerosis is vaporized with the laser and the stapes becomes mobile, thus hearing is restored. The cool part about these operations is that they are done through the tympanic membrane(ear drum).