Clinical Paid Employment vs Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tditt21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is important to specifically have clinical volunteer work as opposed to clinical employment.

I have been working as a medical assistant for the last year and have about 400 hours but I only have ~30 volunteer hours in a clinical setting (>200 non clinical).

Will this be a problems? or should I look to boost my volunteer hours in the next 2 months before applications?

EDIT/Update:
I was just presented with the possibility of taking a position in a cancer research lab (I already have a lot of research experience), leaving my job as a medical assistant, and begin volunteering at a support facility for traumatized children.

Any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering if it is important to specifically have clinical volunteer work as opposed to clinical employment.

I have been working as a medical assistant for the last year and have over 500 hours, but I only have ~30 volunteer hours in a clinical setting (>200 non clinical).

Will this be a problems? or should I look to boost my volunteer hours in the next 2 months before applications?
Are the rest of your stats competitive (MCAT, GPA, etc.)?

It *may* be advisable to increase your volunteer clinical hours before you apply to medical school (for the reasons set forth below).

As a Medical Assistant, you are gainfully employed to provide service to individuals who are seeking professional medical services. It's perfectly acceptable to earn income as a medical assistant; this is your "job."

Medicine is a profession driven by service. As a physician, you are tasked with placing others first; and being oriented to service to others. Aspiring medical students are encouraged and expected to demonstrate a willingness to provide service to those less fortunate than themselves, via voluntary clinical service or voluntary community service. This is "altruistic" service.

Lastly, the AAMC Core of Pre-Professional Competencies strongly encourages:

Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others’ needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others’ distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

Last edited: