Clinical Physiology vs Clinical Pathophysiology Made Ridiculously Simple ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these books vastly different? Do I need both? Do they serve different purposes and/or cover different material?? Any advice would be appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

These books cover different subject matter but in essentially the same presentation. My experience with the "Made Ridiculously Simple" series is that the Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple was the best of the group and others that I have seen were not even close to that one.

If you are looking for a book that helps you to understand the principles of physiology, then the Constanza or Ganong books are good choices. Most medical students do not need a Pathophysiology book as Baby Robbins is a great choice for covering Pathology as well as BRS Path; both include reviews of the physiological changes that have taken place systemically and in organ systems.

What are your needs? What are you trying to accomplish? Both physiology and pathology are not easily covered with review books unless you have a strong knowledge base to begin with. Then all you need is a quick review for boards etc. If you need good explanations and something that will help you get though your course, then Costanza or Ganong are a better choice. In any event, your best resources for your particular school are those who have gone before you. What books did they like? What did they think of these books?

On another note: Chill out, most folks are gearing up for school or already started. Most log on in the evening so good things come to those who wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I don't have much of a background in physiology and in general have found that books that are TOO abridged and too "review like" are not so good for me..but at the same time, those large, epic texts that go into a billion details without clearing stating the big picture aren't anything better - i'm best somewhere in between. The reason I am asking now is because I found that all last year, by the time I found a good book or figured out which book was best, the course was already over! hehe

For example, in anatomy our required text was Greys - I tried so hard to use this book (didn't know better at the time) and it did literally nothing for me, just left me frustrated and confused...but at the same time those review books, like Chung (sp?) weren't always the best other - hollander, something in btw, which I found in the end was ideal.

So basically I am predicting that Robbins is going to be like Greys for me and am looking for something more moderate.

Gray's was my required text for anatomy last year, and I hated it too - so I know what you mean. I'm just starting 2nd year myself so I can't give specific recommendations on pathophys stuff, but I found Costanza (BRS Physiology) to be GREAT for physiology - it's small/easy to carry around, has nice succinct explanations, and has review Q's at the end of each chapter. I've heard the Cases & Problems books is really good, too. I think I am opting for those 2 for physiology review, and Goljan + Baby Robbins for path.:thumbup: