Clinical positions out of state after PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamesla30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be completing a PGY1 at a well-respected university hospital this summer. I am currently in the process of applying for clinical positions back home (Colorado), and have already received rejections for 3 jobs I have applied for. I am quite puzzled as I have a very strong resume and am getting standard rejection emails after only a few days of the job being posted.

I am not currently licensed in Colorado yet... is it possible I am getting filtered out because of this, before a DOP even looks at my application? Or is it more likely that they are looking to fill the position immediately and that is why I am not being considered?

Would you recommend I obtain the license before even applying to jobs?

I am not available to start until around August 1st -- am I applying too early?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have co-residents and friends that are getting job offers already, so I know there is at least some hospitals hiring now for end of summer start...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many residents I know have gotten offers for a delayed start (everyone knows when residents finish and need time to move too) , so I would definitely not say its too early to apply..I think you are probably getting automatically filtered out if you check the box that asks if you have a license in the state yet.

Reactions: 1 user
You can always reach out to the Directors and tell them you are interested.
Would others agree with this? I assume most directors don't want hundreds of applicants "cold-emailing" them about position openings.

I think you are probably getting automatically filtered out if you check the box that asks if you have a license in the state yet.
I was worried about this, but many applications don't have a "check box", they just have a text field to enter current licenses, and I don't think a computer could filter that. It would have to be a person physically reviewing the application....

It sounds like it may be in my best interest to obtain the CO state license as soon as possible.

I am not a resident (or even a pharmacist yet), so the jobs that I'm applying to should be very different from the jobs that you are applying to; however, your application is most likely being screened and rejected by a recruiter. If you meet other job qualifications, the application is probably being rejected because you don't have an active license in the state or because you will not be available for a couple months. In my experience, recruiters will talk with you if you meet job requirements before they make a decision about referring or rejecting. Is there any reason why you can't apply for and obtain a Colorado license now?

Also, I wouldn't get discouraged. Three applications is not that many applications. Our qualifications are very different (mine being substantially less impressive) so take this with a grain of salt, but I have applied to >20 hospitals and I have only had a few interviews (including "interviews" with recruiters).

Is there any reason why you can't apply for and obtain a Colorado license now?
I plan to apply and take the law test as soon as possible, but it is a bit difficult right now to study and focus on it with the workload of my residency. I was hoping to have a job lined up before ending the residency, but it sounds like that might be wishful thinking.

I plan to apply and take the law test as soon as possible, but it is a bit difficult right now to study and focus on it with the workload of my residency. I was hoping to have a job lined up before ending the residency, but it sounds like that might be wishful thinking.
I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm applying for less competitive positions that require fewer qualifications. It is possible that more time is spent head hunting for the positions you are applying to. They might be looking for someone a couple months out. It doesn't hurt to apply. Even if a recruiter doesn't refer you for an interview, they may inform you of other jobs that will be available in a couple months or offer to call when those jobs become available.

Job applications are a bit of a time suck though, and I'm saying that as someone who's not in a residency program. Can't imagine what you're going through. On the other hand, you've basically made it through residency at this point. I think you've got this!