Clinical Psych Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any actually clinical psychology masters programs or other masters programs that lead to practice and are not just stepping stones the PhD programs?

Any feedback would be great.

Amn

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any actually clinical psychology masters programs or other masters programs that lead to practice and are not just stepping stones the PhD programs?

Amn

A lot of this is more state specific than program specific. Not all states license masters level practioners, and your better bet is to look at the requirements for practice in whatever state you're looking at being in. I have a masters degree in psychology, and am a practicing clinician in North Carolina (ongoing supervision required), but in Georgia I would have to sit for an LPC exam and be an LPC instead of a psychologist. Make sense?

What if you're not looking for licensing, per se, but just want to have a school to apply to that is less competitive than the Clinical PhD, but would be a good asset to have before applying for the PhD?

I wasn't under the impression that masters programs like that exist, that it's Clinical PhD or nothing, but if it does then I would love to apply- I'm worried about not getting into any of the doctorate programs I'm applying to...

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you're not looking for licensing, per se, but just want to have a school to apply to that is less competitive than the Clinical PhD, but would be a good asset to have before applying for the PhD?

I wasn't under the impression that masters programs like that exist, that it's Clinical PhD or nothing, but if it does then I would love to apply- I'm worried about not getting into any of the doctorate programs I'm applying to...

In that case, you're going to want to look at masters programs in general and experimental psych. Another bonus is that some of these programs are funded.

Amn

I don't know anything about them but I found clinical masters programs at many Canadian schools when I was doing my research for applications. They appear to be terminal degrees. and at top schools.

Amn
It definitely depends on the licensure board of your state, though you may be hard pressed to find a "Clinical Psychology" MA/MS that is licensable. There are "Counseling", "Mental Health Counseling", "Social Work", "Marriage & Family Therapy", and a few other licensable program areas, though I don't recall a "Clinical Psychology" program that does that. Some states may allow someone with the right background of classes to take additional classes to meet their state's licensing requirement, but that seems like a more indirect path to pursue.

I don't know anything about them but I found clinical masters programs at many Canadian schools when I was doing my research for applications. They appear to be terminal degrees. and at top schools.

Which schools are you referring to? I'm Canadian and almost every school I looked at said on the website that they were not intended to be terminal degrees.

It definitely depends on the licensure board of your state, though you may be hard pressed to find a "Clinical Psychology" MA/MS that is licensable. There are "Counseling", "Mental Health Counseling", "Social Work", "Marriage & Family Therapy", and a few other licensable program areas, though I don't recall a "Clinical Psychology" program that does that. Some states may allow someone with the right background of classes to take additional classes to meet their state's licensing requirement, but that seems like a more indirect path to pursue.
Actually in Michigan, most MA/MS "clinical psychology" programs leads to a "limited license psychology". In Michigan, master's degree "psychologists" can do just about everything a fully licensed psychologist can do. The only exception is that they are "supposed" to be supervised by a fully licensed psychologist. However, if the person works for a non-profit they can be exempt.

Which schools are you referring to? I'm Canadian and almost every school I looked at said on the website that they were not intended to be terminal degrees.

I most recently looked at Queens and Concordia but it is very likely I misunderstood.

I most recently looked at Queens and Concordia but it is very likely I misunderstood.

Yeah, both of those schools list it as strongly discouraged to complete only a masters. That doesn't mean people don't do it, though.