Clinical psych PhD to MD?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by PsychStudent, Nov 14, 2005.

1. PsychStudent

PsychStudent Member
    5+ Year Member

I posted this on the non-traditional forum, but I think many of you guys would have more insight into my situation.

Basically, I'm a second year clinical psych PhD in a "top" program, and for various reasons I've realized that I really should have gone to med school instead of a PhD program. I honestly just don't feel that I'm equipped as a researcher or clinician in psych without having the type of bio/neuroscience/pharmocology background I can get in med school, and I'm also interested in working with more severe populations. However, I'm learning a lot in my program now and enjoying myself, so I figured that I might as well get my PhD before my MD since I'm interested in having a firm basis for both research and practice.

I mainly have two questions:
    1) What are the types of things I could be doing now to improve my med school application? I'm planning to do some physician shadowing and take my pre-med classes at my university, but beyond that should I just focus on publishing papers in my field?
    2) Do you think I would look like a indecisive career-hopper if I switched from psychology to psychiatry? Or would a PhD help my application assuming I had a productive career during my pre-doctoral years? I know a couple people on the boards have done this, and I'd love to get your feedback.

Thanks so much!