• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Clinical psych PhD to MD?

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
    I posted this on the non-traditional forum, but I think many of you guys would have more insight into my situation.

Basically, I'm a second year clinical psych PhD in a "top" program, and for various reasons I've realized that I really should have gone to med school instead of a PhD program. I honestly just don't feel that I'm equipped as a researcher or clinician in psych without having the type of bio/neuroscience/pharmocology background I can get in med school, and I'm also interested in working with more severe populations. However, I'm learning a lot in my program now and enjoying myself, so I figured that I might as well get my PhD before my MD since I'm interested in having a firm basis for both research and practice.

I mainly have two questions:
    1) What are the types of things I could be doing now to improve my med school application? I'm planning to do some physician shadowing and take my pre-med classes at my university, but beyond that should I just focus on publishing papers in my field?
    2) Do you think I would look like a indecisive career-hopper if I switched from psychology to psychiatry? Or would a PhD help my application assuming I had a productive career during my pre-doctoral years? I know a couple people on the boards have done this, and I'd love to get your feedback.

Thanks so much!

About the Ads
    This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.