Clinical Psych programs requiring master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate0285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know which PhD/PsyD programs in Clinical Psychology require students to have a master's degree prior to admittance? I know there are at least a few out there, but can't recall which ones.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WVU PhD in Counseling Psych requires a masters. I think mostly counseling psych programs require a masters

WVU PhD in Counseling Psych requires a masters. I think mostly counseling psych programs require a masters

Nope, not even close. As of 2008-2009, these were the only APA accredited Counseling Psych programs that required a Masters (though others may *prefer* one, of course):

Ball State
Denver
Georgia
Georgia State
Howard
Indiana State
Kentucky
Loyola (Chicago)
Memphis
Minnesota (Dept. of Ed. Psych)
New Mexico State
Pennsylvania State
St. Thomas (PsyD)
Seton Hall
Tennessee State
West Virginia
Wisconsin-Madison
So does James Madison's combined Clinical/School PsyD.

Boston College does *not* require a Masters degree: http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/academics/departments/cdep/graduate/counsel/Admission.html

Nope, not even close. As of 2008-2009, these were the only APA accredited Counseling Psych programs that required a Masters (though others may *prefer* one, of course):

Ball State
Denver
Georgia
Georgia State
Howard
Indiana State
Kentucky
Loyola (Chicago)
Memphis
Minnesota (Dept. of Ed. Psych)
New Mexico State
Pennsylvania State
St. Thomas (PsyD)
Seton Hall
Tennessee State
West Virginia
Wisconsin-Madison
So does James Madison's combined Clinical/School PsyD.

Boston College does *not* require a Masters degree: http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/academics/departments/cdep/graduate/counsel/Admission.html

Just FYI, as of this coming application cycle TWU also requires a master 's degree for their counseling psych program.

What might be most helpful for the OP is to look at the student admissions data and compare it to what the school's website says. BC is a good example of why this might be helpful as the website states that they will consider students with an MA or a BA, but a simple look at their student admissions data tells us that they have not taken a single BA student in the past 7 years.

http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/academics/departments/cdep/graduate/counsel/Publicdata.html

What might be most helpful for the OP is to look at the student admissions data and compare it to what the school's website says. BC is a good example of why this might be helpful as the website states that they will consider students with an MA or a BA, but a simple look at their student admissions data tells us that they have not taken a single BA student in the past 7 years.

http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/academics/departments/cdep/graduate/counsel/Publicdata.html

That is what the admissions data states, however my friend is entering her third year in the Counseling PhD program at BC, having been admitted with only a BA. I am unsure as to why the admissions data states otherwise, and I understand that my friend may be the exception to the rule. However, it is possible to enter this program without an MA.

Just FYI, as of this coming application cycle TWU also requires a master 's degree for their counseling psych program.

I wrote to TWU recently and they said they are leaning more towards accepting only those who have a master's already, but they did not indicate it was required. Where are you seeing this? I didn't find it on their website just now when I looked either..? I'm always a bit paranoid that schools may conceal this kind of information to get an application fee - maybe that's silly, but all the fees certainly add up!

I wrote to TWU recently and they said they are leaning more towards accepting only those who have a master's already, but they did not indicate it was required. Where are you seeing this? I didn't find it on their website just now when I looked either..? I'm always a bit paranoid that schools may conceal this kind of information to get an application fee - maybe that's silly, but all the fees certainly add up!

It may not be up on the website currently but it will be before the current application season starts; this will be the first cycle it takes effect. Trust me that this is true; I am a current student and student representative and this was finalized at the last department meeting.