Clinical Psychology - capitalize or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOverachiever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a kind of silly question but I would just like to double check.

When do I capitalize?
"the clinical psychology program at XXX University" vs
"the field of/a career in Clinical Psychology"

I get a little confused.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, clinical psychology is not a proper noun and should not be capitalized. Some academics like to capitalize the names of disciplines, however.

I know it's a kind of silly question but I would just like to double check.

When do I capitalize?
"the clinical psychology program at XXX University" vs
"the field of/a career in Clinical Psychology"

I get a little confused.

Thanks in advance.

It is not capitalized. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I always take note of it when I read over internship applications; I have a stack on my desk right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not capitalized. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I always take note of it when I read over internship applications; I have a stack on my desk right now.

Get crackin on those apps and stop trolling forums with silly anal grammar standards :laugh:

It's never ever capatalized??? I thought it had to be in certain cases...:confused:

It's never ever capatalized??? I thought it had to be in certain cases...:confused:

Unless it's referring to the name of a specific course (e.g., Clinical Psychology 101), is the name of a language, or includes a proper noun that is always capitalized (e.g., United States), nope, you don't capitalize the name of subject areas. Also remember not to capitalize degree names, such as master's degree or bachelor's degree (unless you're using the abbreviation, of course).

Unless it's referring to the name of a specific course (e.g., Clinical Psychology 101), is the name of a language, or includes a proper noun that is always capitalized (e.g., United States), nope, you don't capitalize the name of subject areas. Also remember not to capitalize degree names, such as master's degree or bachelor's degree (unless you're using the abbreviation, of course).
Okay thanks so much!

It's little things like this that can count against me in my personal statement so I wanted to be sure.

Okay thanks so much!

It's little things like this that can count against me in my personal statement so I wanted to be sure.

No problem. I, too, have a habit of confusing myself by overthinking things when it comes to capitalization. And don't even get me started on my comma splicing.

X University's Clinical Psychology program is capitalized! This is what I read on some google search I did a while back. So that's what I've been doing on my apps. Hopefully correct. But if a school chooses not to accept me (or anyone) over a capitalization error, it wasn't meant to be.