clinical psychology HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you know about tattoos? I have a small one on the back of my neck that I am not sure if I need to try and get removed before I go to MEPS...

Should be fine... I have seen plenty, as long as it's covered by hair, and not offensive, it should be ok. Ask your recruiter though, as tattoo policies are service specific and change from time to time.

M

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else waiting on results from the Army HPSP Board that met at the end of January?

It looks like I was selected, but put on the "Order of Merit List". It sounds like a rank ordered wait list from what the recruiter said.

Does anyone have any more info on what exactly the OML is? More specifically, has anyone heard of applicants on the OML getting "bumped up" and receiving a 2 or 1 year scholarship in the same cycle?

Thanks

Last edited:
Last year I applied but didn't receive the Navy HPSP. Now I'm shooting for the Air Force HPSP. Without going into details, I am a strong applicant. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on making myself a better applicant.

For example, would I be a stronger applicant by getting certified in this emergency response and disaster relief? It's called CERT: http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams I'm sure this knowledge would come in handy in a deployment setting, but I don't know if it's worth adding this 21 hour training to my plate during already hectic semester.

Any other tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in an odd situation where I can't get commissioned yet, because I'm too young. Is there anything I can do to make myself more competitive in the mean time? By the time I apply for the scholarship I will have my en-route masters in clinical psych.

I don't think the training would hurt, but it's not going to catapult you from being a strong applicant into a "must have." I think more important is being able to articulate your life experience in a way that shows professionalism and a mature outlook on the type of clinician you will be, as well as your desire to be part of the military.

I don't think the training would hurt, but it's not going to catapult you from being a strong applicant into a "must have." I think more important is being able to articulate your life experience in a way that shows professionalism and a mature outlook on the type of clinician you will be, as well as your desire to be part of the military.

Anything else?

Last year I applied but didn't receive the Navy HPSP. Now I'm shooting for the Air Force HPSP. Without going into details, I am a strong applicant. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on making myself a better applicant.

For example, would I be a stronger applicant by getting certified in this emergency response and disaster relief? It's called CERT: http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams I'm sure this knowledge would come in handy in a deployment setting, but I don't know if it's worth adding this 21 hour training to my plate during already hectic semester.

Any other tips?

My instinct is that that wouldn't give you much of a boost at all. My understanding is that if you deploy, you'll be sent to additional training.

Did you get feedback or do you have a sense as to why you didn't receive the Navy spot last year? For example, did you get additional independent feedback on your essay?

My instinct is that that wouldn't give you much of a boost at all. My understanding is that if you deploy, you'll be sent to additional training.

Did you get feedback or do you have a sense as to why you didn't receive the Navy spot last year? For example, did you get additional independent feedback on your essay?

Good point. No feedback at all, which kind of sucks... I do have a buddy who is currently in the HPSP program that is going to give me tips on what to highlight in my essays. If anybody else has ideas, I'm all ears, though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll def. give this thought as I'm writing my essays.

Does anyone know if the HPSP can be transferred to a different program after you have been selected?

"Transferring" to another program is very very rare in doctoral training for psychology, and it is generally frowned upon unless there are extenuating circumstances (e.g. mentor leaves/dies, program folds, etc).

thanks for the feedback. The change in school is due to family illness and it would not be more tuition. I was just wondering if its possible to transfer the scholarship?