Clinical Psychology PhD Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not end up getting in. Does anyone have advice on what I should do for the year before applying again next year? I have two years of research experience already, 2 publishings, good grades. Maybe my GREs need improvement? My quantitative was high, but my verbal was a little lower. Does anyone that has been accepted to PhD programs mind sharing about what scores you received? I am trying to look for a different research assistant position. Does anyone know the best places to look in NY, CT, MA, or RI? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks so much!:(

Congrats to all that have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into a PhD program. My GRE was 580Q and 660V.

Butler Hospital is a great place for RA positions in Rhode Island, but I'm not sure if they're still hiring or not.

I volunteered at Butler Hospital my junior year of college and had a fellowship from my school to work there the summer before my senior year, and I really enjoyed my experience there. I currently live in CT, and the places that I know of for research positions are The Institute of Living (IOL) at Hartford Hospital, CMHC in New Haven, and Yale. If there aren't any positions listed on their websites, try doing some research and emailing the directors of the individual research labs to tell them a bit about your experience and your interest in working there. I currently work at Yale and know that a lot of RAs leave for grad school every summer, so now is a good time to be contacting people. Good luck!

Butler Hospital is a great place for RA positions in Rhode Island, but I'm not sure if they're still hiring or not.

P.S. Also try the VA in West Haven!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the research match wasn't perfect? Honesly many PhD programs take less then 10% of applicants and often prefer people who have taken time off. I wouldn't beat yourself up over that.

Did you read the thread below about getting into a PhD program from a professor? There are plenty of tips.

Boston has a ton of hospitals with RA positions, most of which post jobs on their websites somewhere: McLean, Cambridge Health Alliance, MGH, the VA (part of BU, listings are through their site), Brigham and Womens, and Beth Israel. Harvard, BU, Suffolk and UMass Boston all have clinical psych programs and may have research opportunities.

It's easy to get obsessed with GRE scores. Most places will have posted online the avg GRE scores for incoming class.

I think as long as you are in the ballpark of average for them, you've got a shot.

The most important thing is match. Know who you want to work with and why.

My GREs: 740-V / 800-Q / 790-Subject / 6.0 analytic

But I'm going to a place where the averages are significantly lower.

Last edited: