Clinical Research as Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToMD2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will have about 2000hrs of paid clinical research experience from two different labs by the time I apply this June. In both, I was able to communicate with patients that came to the hospital for regular care. I also had the opportunity to coordinate with physicians and nurses. I truly believe that this experience has given me direct patient contact in clinic. I am not sure how to demonstrate this on my app. Do I break up the hours and classify some as paid clinic experience and some as research? If so, how do I decide the allocation? If I classify all hours under research, will adcoms understand that I also gained substantial amount of clinical experience even though it's listed as research? Please help! Thanks!!

- @Goro & @LizzyM What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I will have about 2000hrs of paid clinical research experience from two different labs by the time I apply this June. In both, I was able to communicate with patients that came to the hospital for regular care. I also had the opportunity to coordinate with physicians and nurses. I truly believe that this experience has given me direct patient contact in clinic. I am not sure how to demonstrate this on my app. Do I break up the hours and classify some as paid clinic experience and some as research? If so, how do I decide the allocation? If I classify all hours under research, will adcoms understand that I also gained substantial amount of clinical experience even though it's listed as research? Please help! Thanks!!

- @Goro & @LizzyM What do you think?
What did you actually do with said research subjects??? Because in my book, they're that, and not patients, unless you're actually around them and better yet, doing something for/and with them.

What did you actually do with said research subjects??? Because in my book, they're that, and not patients, unless you're actually around them and better yet, doing something for/and with them.
For the first lab (1000 hrs) I still approached subjects with research material, but I also administered and collected forms that were used for their care by the providers. These forms were administered for all patients whether they qualified for the research or not. For the second lab (1000 hrs) I approached subjects that only qualified for the projects I was assigned to.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what did you do with these people? What do you mean by “approached subjects”? Sounds like you considered them “subjects” and not “patients” , at least subconsciously.

Reactions: 1 users
So were all your 2000 hours restricted to just one clinical study? How many patients/subjects are we talking about? How much time do you have with each, and what did you do with followup? I too get a little wary about patient-centered experiences because they vary a lot in clinical research, depending on what you are assigned to do.

But what did you do with these people? What do you mean by “approached subjects”? Sounds like you considered them “subjects” and not “patients” , at least subconsciously.
So were all your 2000 hours restricted to just one clinical study? How many patients/subjects are we talking about? How much time do you have with each, and what did you do with followup? I too get a little wary about patient-centered experiences because they vary a lot in clinical research, depending on what you are assigned to do.
I was part of two clinical studies each 1000 hours. For the first clinical study, my position was two part in that I recruited patients into the study, but I also had to administer them clinical forms that were used by physicians in the care they gave. In the second clinical study, I specifically screened for patients that qualified for the study and apporahced them only to see if they will consent. I administered surveys that were needed for the study.

Reactions: 1 user