Quantcast

Clinical Research or Benchwork?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaDocDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi, I had a question concerning which type of research will be more beneficial: clinical or basic science research? I am currently entering sophomore year and have not conducted research yet in undergrad. For top med schools that look for research experience in applicants, which type looks more impressive? Also, I would be equally happy doing either; so I do not have any personal preference.

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question concerning which type of research will be more beneficial: clinical or basic science research? I am currently entering sophomore year and have not conducted research yet in undergrad. For top med schools that look for research experience in applicants, which type looks more impressive? Also, I would be equally happy doing either; so I do not have any personal preference.

You're more likely to have the opportunity to do independent research at a bench (no IRB approval, extensive paperwork) rather than in a clinical setting. IMO, if you are doing clinical research, you are mostly either collecting or enter data.

Having said that, clinical research = patient contact which is always good.

honker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose for doing research is to foster intellectual curiosity, and to advance knowledge. The type of research you do is not so important. What is important is your degree of involvement.