clinical research or laboratory research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandra124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a recent graduate with the intent of working before applying to med school. i've been offered two research positions: a clinical research position at columbia university medical and a laboratory research position at albert einstein COM. here's the deal. the clinical research requires me to do patient followups over the phone, data entry, and paperwork for a group of cardiologists. a lot of deskwork, maybe? :sleep: columbia is one of the first to conduct a huge project like this. i don't believe there is a lot of interaction between the cardiologists and me. but, the work environment and the project seems really great. einstein, however, is an obesity research using mice and rats for a PH.D professor of the school. in this case, i will be working more closely with the investigators. not too thrilled with all the animal work, but research is interesting. question: with the intent of improving you resume for medical school, would you choose the name and clinical research or the better recommendation, with the possibility of publication?

Members don't see this ad.

sandra, if i were you i'd go where you'd feel most comfortable and able to make a contribution. it seems from what you wrote that you are more interested in the clinical research at columbia. both institutions are great. med schools love research and its even better if you have a potential publication on the way. a recent graduate with the intent of working before applying to med school. are you concerned about the lack of interaction betwen the cardiologists and you at columbia because you're thinking of asking them to write you a letter of rec? I think you could still get a good one from them. you have as much interaction as you want to have, you know? wil you have a lot of patient contact? (b/c this is a plus) as for the research at einstein, do you know specifically what your job function will be? do you think its more interesting work which gives you an avenue of creativity? ok as far as the animals, do you know that you will definitely be having to handle/be around them? the reason im mentioning that is b/c im doing research in a neuroscience at mt sinai medical and we have to work with rats to do our primary neuron culture yet ive never had to touch one (unles i really really wanted to) i basically do recombinant dna stuff. anyway i hope that was helpful- the way you are describing it to me, seems like you like the clinical research position better. but its all about you, b/c either will look good on the med school aps. congrats and good luck ! :luck:

sandra,
I would concur with acidhouse. Sounds like you're siding on the clinical research position. You really won't lose either way. Publishing will be slightly more difficult in this position, but I am willing to bet that this is a more relevant opportunity to medical school. Clinical research really allows you to see how clinical scientists approach problems,test them, and analyze outcomes - great stuff. Although there's a lot of administrative work, you do have exposure to the clinical aspects of research, which I would say is valuable and unique. The clinical research folks (you're probably going to work with Dr. Bigger at Columbia) are outstanding - good mentors all over the place. Good luck with the decision - it's a good one to have.