clinical research q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elguapo187

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks...i'm going to be starting a post-bacc program in a few months, and wanted to know if it's possible to get clinical research positions even though i have no science background yet (studied finance as an undergrad)..any tips would be great..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you bet, elguapo...I too was a post-bac (finished July 2000) and followed this advice on obtaining a job as a clinical research assistant (volunteer, since I couldn't expect much more w/o prior experience):

Determine what kind of clinic you'd like to work in, go to a that department's website in the various schools in your area (you've got a lot to choose from in Chicago!) There you should find a link to the various research projects underway.

Contact the faculty member listed as the primary researcher via email or phone, stating your situation and interest. Even if no research program is listed in your particular area of interest, I suggest contacting a faculty member who specializes in that subject and ask if s/he knows of any opportunities...then follow up on what you find out.

It may seem scary to 'cold-call' this way, but it's how I landed a kick-a$$ position in a leading clinic at UCLA. Just keep in mind you have nothing to lose by asking around and you might be surprised by a fortuitous break and good luck...I know I did!

I wish you the best in your post-bac program and in finding the position you're looking for.

I did the same thing at Wash U. It is not really like cold calling. Most of the clinical research MDs that I have encountered are more than willing to accept a volunteer for their research. Those that are not willing will politely decline. Professors usually have more ideas than they have resources.

wonderful...thanks for the tips!