Clinical Rotations at D.O. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradmedman

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

As a non-trad with young kids, I'm very interested in finding out which D.O. programs do a great job of having clinical rotations in close proximity to their schools. I wouldn't mind doing a rotation here or there away from my family--we could stomach it--and I certainly understand that I will want to do audition rotations, which may have me on the road for a few weeks (or months). But I do want to be with my family.

Can any current students, especially fellow non-trads, give some glowing reviews of their schools and help guide me as to where I should apply? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All-

As a non-trad with young kids, I'm very interested in finding out which D.O. programs do a great job of having clinical rotations in close proximity to their schools. I wouldn't mind doing a rotation here or there away from my family--we could stomach it--and I certainly understand that I will want to do audition rotations, which may have me on the road for a few weeks (or months). But I do want to be with my family.

Can any current students, especially fellow non-trads, give some glowing reviews of their schools and help guide me as to where I should apply? Thanks so much!
KCU Joplin for sure. They want to have most within an hour of the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM, we have 3 different sites and each site has alot of hospitals around it

Touro Nevada and Oklahoma State. You could probably pull it off at AZCOM

NYIT-COM (old west bury, NY campus) - We have an option of doing a regional or non regional rotations. A Regional is where you stay in one hospital for all of 3rd year (they are located in either Queens, Brooklyn, or Long Island). Our non regionals are based on a ranking system based on your preference and some "other factors." 95% of our hospitals are located in Long island, Queens, brooklyn, bronx, or northern NJ

Rowan. They offer options of staying in South Jersey or going up to central jersey. This is what we were told at least, current students can shed more light.

Most DO schools will have options in the same city, but I would argue that very few can accommodate all of their students within a reasonable commute radius from the campus. The more important question to ask will be how people are assigned to different rotation sites.

Thanks, but doesn't MSU-COM have an outrageous price tag for nonresidents?
it does but alot of those students get a massive amount of grants and scholarships to bring down to about 50 k yearly

I'll second KCU - Joplin. We are going to have most, if not all of our students within a 1 hour radius of campus. I say most because some people just really want to go somewhere outside of that radius and may be granted the opportunity. We have more than enough spots in the Freeman and Mercy Health Systems to cover most of the class. The others will be able to go to Pittsburg, KS (~40 minutes away, Via Christi) or Springfield, (~1 hour away, Cox).

It’s been a while for me but at LECOM-B we had quite a few non-trade, some with kids/families and I’d probably say most were able to stay in a particular area for rotations besides of course away audition ones. We couldn’t accommodate everyone locally in the Tampa Bay/Bradenton region but I know a several families who stayed locally.

I’m not sure what the current status of rotation sites is though or how they are deciding who goes where.

Hi All-

@GTown already mentioned Rowan, but I'll add that Rowan's hospital (Jefferson - Stratford NJ) is directly next to the medial school campus, though you might have to commute to other hospitals within the system (Jeff-Cherry Hill or Jeff-Washington Twp) for a couple of rotations ~ these are about about 20 minutes away.

Also, if you choose to stay, you will likely get to stay - and even if you wanted to go elsewhere, there is a chance that you may end up staying due to sheer numbers. As mentioned, some students go to Central/North Jersey, but these sites only take like 8-12 students each. Our home site of Jefferson NJ (again, next door) keeps 90ish students.

There are also numerous school districts you can choose from depending on which town you decide to move (i.e. cherry hill or voorhees, or a number of other surrounding towns).

Good Luck!

@GTown already mentioned Rowan, but I'll add that Rowan's hospital (Jefferson - Stratford NJ) is directly next to the medial school campus, though you might have to commute to other hospitals within the system (Jeff-Cherry Hill or Jeff-Washington Twp) for a couple of rotations ~ these are about about 20 minutes away.

Also, if you choose to stay, you will likely get to stay - and even if you wanted to go elsewhere, there is a chance that you may end up staying due to sheer numbers. As mentioned, some students go to Central/North Jersey, but these sites only take like 8-12 students each. Our home site of Jefferson NJ (again, next door) keeps 90ish students.

There are also numerous school districts you can choose from depending on which town you decide to move (i.e. cherry hill or voorhees, or a number of other surrounding towns).

Good Luck!

If you want a good clinical experience at rowan though you’re better off not going to the Jefferson campuses. You’d need to go to morristown. I wouldn’t even bother with any of them down south from rowan. And if you wan a good clinical experience overall there are better choices out there other than rowan

~former rowan student

Touro Nevada has all rotations 30 minutes from school. School is located in an incredibly safe part of Las Vegas as well

My continued thanks to everyone contributing to this. @Meekor would you mind sending me a private message to explain your thoughts on Rowan. I'd be an OOS applicant, and it looks darned expensive. At my stage in life, I have to think about ROI! Such is the nontrad's burden!

OUHCOM - Cleveland campus.

Reactions: 1 user