clinical rotations in usa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. can anyone help me to find hospitals which are offering clinical rotations to international students? ive searched a lot on the net n i have trouble finding. i would be thankful if anyone can give me a list of medical schools and hospitals where international students like me can easily get clinical rotation or clerkship, esp students from india and pakistan n south asia.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the AAMC's Extramurals Compendium. Off the top of my head, Harvard offers rotations to international students (you pay 1/12th the tuition for a month-long rotation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you consider paying actual tuition for a rotation, bear in mind that MOST programs do not charge a visiting 4th year/final year clerk tuition or any untoward fees. Most medical schools will allow foreign students in good standing to come for visiting electives, although you are often given last choice of rotation after their own home students have chosen.

I'm not sure of the link to the list, but all I did was think about WHERE I wanted to go (ie, geographical considerations not program specific) and looked at the student websites at university hospitals in those areas. This may require you to arm yourself with a US map and guide to US medical schools if you are not familiar with the US.

All of them had info about visting clerks and the process of application. I rotated at University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Baylor University, University of Kentucky and UC San Francisco. Admittedly, some of the programs required either a faculty sponsor or stated that they did not accept foreign students for clerkships. However, if you have a true desire to rotate at a certain school, it does not hurt to ask a specific faculty member - if they wish you to come, often the administrative "rules" can be bent. At least they were in my case at UCSF. Baylor was the only university that charged me a fee to come - this was to cover health and malpractice insurance. It wasn't much - something like $150 I think.

At any rate, do not feel you have to actually pay tuition at a university to enroll there as a visiting clerk. I've only heard of a few places that do this (ie, Harvard, Stanford) and there are plenty more places out there with good reputations that will accept you free of charge.

Please consider that your home school will most likely have to cover you for health and malpractice insurance while in the US (this is a sticking point for many students who find that their school will not provide the above, or it is not good in North America) as most US schools (with the exception above that I know about) will not provide it for you.

A little time spent on the computer will yield many potential programs to apply to. the information is usually found in the Medical Student section, under Elective Rotations or something of the sort. It can be buried sometimes so take your time looking for the info.

Also consider were you want to get your medical lisence. Some states require that you DO NOT do rotations in their state, if you want to get lisenced there. I think Texas and Pennsylvania do have such requirements.

Leukocyte said:
Also consider were you want to get your medical lisence. Some states require that you DO NOT do rotations in their state, if you want to get lisenced there. I think Texas and Pennsylvania do have such requirements.

Texas' requirement is that if you are going to do rotations, you have to do them at a medical school and get a letter from said medical school saying that you completed an approved rotation in that program. If you do not do this, you will not get credit for the rotation from their licensing board.

For example, if you directly set-up your own rotation through a teaching hospital there and not through a medical school visiting-student program, you will likely not be able to get a letter from that medical school saying that you completed an "approved" rotation.

Moral of the story: don't set-up your own rotations in Texas without going through the AAMC visiting-student program and an approved medical school, unless you have no intention of ever practicing in Texas.

I don't know about Pennsylvania.

-Skip

I also think that some States have a limit on the number of weeks you can rotate at a hospital that is not affiliated with your school. Yet another thing to consider.

thanks a bunch guyz for all this info... it helped out a lot.

i ended up applying to mayo clinic, n luckily i did get into a clerkship program . got a month in gen surgery. i hear its going to be amazingly tuff!
not to mention freezinngly cold as well! :)

Kimberli Cox said:
Before you consider paying actual tuition for a rotation, bear in mind that MOST programs do not charge a visiting 4th year/final year clerk tuition or any untoward fees. Most medical schools will allow foreign students in good standing to come for visiting electives, although you are often given last choice of rotation after their own home students have chosen.

I'm not sure of the link to the list, but all I did was think about WHERE I wanted to go (ie, geographical considerations not program specific) and looked at the student websites at university hospitals in those areas. This may require you to arm yourself with a US map and guide to US medical schools if you are not familiar with the US.

All of them had info about visting clerks and the process of application. I rotated at University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Baylor University, University of Kentucky and UC San Francisco. Admittedly, some of the programs required either a faculty sponsor or stated that they did not accept foreign students for clerkships. However, if you have a true desire to rotate at a certain school, it does not hurt to ask a specific faculty member - if they wish you to come, often the administrative "rules" can be bent. At least they were in my case at UCSF. Baylor was the only university that charged me a fee to come - this was to cover health and malpractice insurance. It wasn't much - something like $150 I think.

At any rate, do not feel you have to actually pay tuition at a university to enroll there as a visiting clerk. I've only heard of a few places that do this (ie, Harvard, Stanford) and there are plenty more places out there with good reputations that will accept you free of charge.

Please consider that your home school will most likely have to cover you for health and malpractice insurance while in the US (this is a sticking point for many students who find that their school will not provide the above, or it is not good in North America) as most US schools (with the exception above that I know about) will not provide it for you.

A little time spent on the computer will yield many potential programs to apply to. the information is usually found in the Medical Student section, under Elective Rotations or something of the sort. It can be buried sometimes so take your time looking for the info.

Hi Kim! Would you mind telling us what are the programs in those universities you applied to? Also does the hospital provide housing?

Thanks

Red_Pulp said:
Hi Kim! Would you mind telling us what are the programs in those universities you applied to? Also does the hospital provide housing?

Thanks

Almost all were surgical rotations:

Plastics research at Baylor
Burns/PRS at UCSF
PRS at UVA
PRS at U of Louisville
Neuro at Hopkins

None of the programs provided housing. I had to find it myself. At UVA I was required to have a faculty sponsor otherwise they don't allow IMGs, UCSF doesn't allow IMGs but I used to work there and have ties to the community so an exception was made and the same at Hopkins.