Clinical Rotations Overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying4MD

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give some advice on how to plan in advance for setting up a clinical rotation in a different country? What are some obstacles you had to overcome? What does the red tape entail? How long in advance must you plan? Are there only certain countries that allow this? Can you choose a particular country of interest? What organizations should I contact?

Any other information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Stephen Ewen: If you are still out there (haven't seen you post in a while,) I know you are very knowledgable about topics like this, so your advice would be ideal here!

Members don't see this ad.

check out the Health Volunteers Overseas organization at <a href="http://www.hvousa.org." target="_blank">www.hvousa.org.</a>

Note that some residency programs also have pre-arranged overseas projects available for interested residents, which obviously makes things much easier.

Our university has an "exchange" program, but I really don't know how much of an exchange it really is, since we get to go State-side for our social clinics rotation, but we never see anyone come in from the States...

Other universities offer such programs, just as long as you agree to pay your way. If you're looking for credit, then you should ask the Hospital if the offer programs for interns/3rd year medical students/residents abroad, they might be able to hook you up.

If you're just interested in the experience, then just contact the hospital you're interested in directly. The American Red Cross can also help you contact organizations that offer medical assistance in different regions.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the Australian medical schools will accept international students for final year electives (although they may require your university to accept some of its students in the balance). All of them have websites with contact information should you be interested in going there (I highly recommend some of the rural medicine/surgery rotations; you'll get to do a lot more there [and in fact, in most other countries] than you would in the US).

best of luck.

Thanks for the information. I will be researching this in-depth in the months to come and your advice will come in handy. :)